• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Top 10 Self Defense Martial Arts

i dont find it odd at all and to me, being a basis to many other arts sounds like it has so many disadvantages, that almost everyone thought you gotta change something.

but you can interprete it the other way around as well i guess: that many ppl thought there are very good elements in shoryn ryu sothat they use it......

This is quite true. Personally, I've never actually trained in any other art other than this one, but have had the opportunity over the past nearly 30 years to observe other systems classes, demonstrations, tournaments and to work with instructors of quite a few other systems, and in my opinion, many of them were good (others I would say are so much garbage), but not so good that I would ever contemplate switching systems because I felt they were better for me, and what my belief in what a martial art should be.

Many of the people that origionally trrained in Shorinryu and went on to found their own systems based on that system, didn't train for a very extended period in it, and I feel missed out in the more subtle movements and techniques that only come from long term training, practice and knowledge that only time and effort achieve from it. Basically, they didn't know enough about the system before they went on to "improve" it.

My opinion of course. We're still a free country, right? :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a Systema demo on line at Bugei.com it was very cool. It looks very similar to Taijutsu and the curriculum they describe is almost identical. Does anyone know if Systema is really a native Russian MA? Just curious. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I've been exposed to some systema. Its a russian system, supposedly what their special forces trained. However I think it borrows heavily from chinese systems. I'm not familiar with taijutsu but it probably is similar. Is taijutsu anything like tai chi?

Is taijutsu anything like tai chi?

actually... not quite :)

Taijutsu is the proper name for what most people call "ninjutsu". there are parallels between Taijutsu and JuJutsu, because 6 of the nine "schools" the taijutsu system consists of are JuJutsu. i only have some knowlegde of Budo Taijutsu, which is mainly very soft moves, and redirecting techniques. u dont meet your opponent with brute force.

Icetuete Taijutsu is very brutal and can be very soft depending on your attacker. We have many powerful strikes and throws that are meant to damage. What you described is more like Aikido. You will rarely see Taijutsu done full force. The reason being many of the throws and techniques break bones when done full on. We have had some close calls but luckily no one has been seriously hurt.

i didnt say that there aint no hard stuff in it :)

i am no expert in Taijutsu though, so i dont actually know - what i stated above was my impression when seeing taijutsu pracitioners train, which wasnt that often to be honest.

You will rarely see Taijutsu done full force.

apparently, i didnt :)

No problemo. Yeah, I can how someone would draw that conclusion. I thought the same thing the first time I saw Taijutsu. It all changed when I felt it done to me. :)

• 1 month later...

I find it funny that shotokan karate finds it invincible and that it can take any grappler down with it easy. And it could hold up against any grappler.

I've seen " good " grapplers and they can take a few puny punches from a karate guy use to hitting the wind and focusin'.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

*! the best self defense is Jeet Kune Do, the style bruce lee founded, created and developed. all the rest are crap, no one in all time will ever beat bruce lee's Jeet Kune Do style. JKD was and still is the ultimate martial art style that bruce lee used, and no other martial artist will ever match.

and thats why they always say countless times, that bruce lee was way ahead of his time!

Take JKD to thailand and step in the ring at Lumpini stadium. Send us a telegram from the hospital and tell us how great it worked. Bruce Lee was a phenomenal martial artist, not a phenomenal fighter. The two are not the same.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!