• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Top 10 Self Defense Martial Arts

A good fighter covers themselves in every range. Here are my favourite systems to cover each of the different ranges:

Long Range:

Taekwon-do

Muay Thai

Close Range:

Western Boxing

Wing Chun

Muay Thai

Groundwork:

Systema

Ju Jitsu

Hapkido

Of course, these are only my personal preferences. There are a multitude of systems out there which you should research before making your own decision. My personal favourite, though, is Taekkyon. But that is just me. But a good martial artist will cover all ranges as a means of "total insurance."

You more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the battlefield...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1: sholin

2; wing cuhn

3 kun doo

; muay thai

No particular order.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

• 1 month later...

Well... I can say from my experience that there really is not a best martial arts style. Only good and bad fighters. MA is used to develop your potential by teaching you what and how to do stuff. But winning a fight really depends on your mind, weight, physical strenght, flexibility and MA proficency.

1.st kyu Shotokan Karate

1.st dan Aikido

My top ten

1. Ninjutsu

2. Ju-Jitsu

3. Karate

4. Kung Fu (White Crane)

5. Muay Thai

6. Boxing

7. Pankration

8. Judo

9. TKD

10. The mind

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

I skipped maybe 3-4 of the 16 exisiting pages of this thread, but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Shorinryu? Odd don't you think, since it is the basis of so many other modern systems and offshoots?

I've used that system numerous times through work (bouncing) and play (out having a few) for self-defense, and it hasn't failed me yet.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I don't find it odd at all... I didn't pick it either. below is what I posted earlier in this thread. The fact that it spawned other systems is actually kind of irrelevant, IMO - if four guys only had access to shorin ryu, then later created their own style, naturally, their base is shorin ryu - that's not a tribute to its effectiveness in any way. (I'm not trying to take a shot at shorin ryu in any way, just addressing the fact that you think it's odd that it hasn't bene picked.)

At any rate, you really can't pick a top 10 - everybody will pick based on their frame of reference. I've got experience training either in or with exponents of all 10 arts I picked... How can I legitimately pick goju ryu if I've never trained it? everyone will be biased. I've got experience with wing chun, and I don't like hit, hence it's not on my list, but it is on the list of several others...

muay thai

shuai chiao

bjj

judo

wrestling

boxing

krav maga - if you can find the good kind

kali

silat (bukti negara and kuntao)

kyokushinkai

i dont find it odd at all and to me, being a basis to many other arts sounds like it has so many disadvantages, that almost everyone thought you gotta change something.

but you can interprete it the other way around as well i guess: that many ppl thought there are very good elements in shoryn ryu sothat they use it......

there are many good styles missing in most of the listed ones - guess many forum members (including myself) do not have knowledge of all (/many) styles to really judge them.

*! the best self defense is Jeet Kune Do, the style bruce lee founded, created and developed. all the rest are crap, no one in all time will ever beat bruce lee's Jeet Kune Do style. JKD was and still is the ultimate martial art style that bruce lee used, and no other martial artist will ever match.

and thats why they always say countless times, that bruce lee was way ahead of his time!

yeah, yeah, yeah, a true Bruce Lee/Jun Fan JKD fan would know that there is no JKD style. His style was no style. It was a theory. In esscense, Bruce invented MMA crosstraining (please don't flame me, I don't mean this is any kind of literal sense).

1. Alertness

2. Loss of Ego (no need to prove you da baddest mamajamma)

3. Black belt in Run-Fu

4. Lots of friends

5. Krav Maga

6. Muay Thai or Kyokushin

8. Judo (for ippon throws)

9. Wrestling/BJJ

10. Gun-Fu (only added last b/c you can't possibly expect to be the only person with a gun, can you?)

"Damned be he who first cries 'Hold, enough!!!'"

Macbeth