Top 10 Self Defense Martial Arts

but heres my idea of the top 10

I cant believe noone mentioned Aikido!

1. aikido

2. Jujitsu

3. Kenpo

4. Kyokyushin Karate

5. Ninpo Taijitsu

6. Tai Chi Chuan (only when combined with other arts)

7. Judo

8. I suppose Ill throw in Kung fu styles (but who knows, I cant find a real school! ever watch kyokyushin vs kung fu videos?! the kung fu practicioners get litterally whooped silly)

I cannot honestly give two more off hand! Unless I said Brazillian jujitsu and American Kenpo (Ed Harper).

I would say Jeet Kun Do but that also would mean that I would be calling Jeet Kun Do an actual style when Bruce Lee simply said that it was a template to form your own style by! the idea was to take the good techniques of various styles and throw out the bad! Many martial artists have done this... many have merely picked the wrong styles to study.

I too am on that road... Hope I didnt offend anyone about kung fu,.. it is very hard now to find REAL old fashioned Effective Kung Fu ... Even Wushu is confused with Wing Chun by so many its crazy! I would love to see the supposedly lost but perhaps still excisting powerful fuedal chinese techniques of old Shaolin Kung Fu in action but until then I have my doubts on modern adaptations.

Tai Chi Chuan is needed to handle blows better, to move and dodge better! There are endless uses for Tai chi Chuan! and by the way whoever mentioned Eagle Claw vs Tai Chi! I believe Eagle Claw is chinese martial arts Ballet!

You can go beat up this Grandmaster (Wing Chun) that I am familiar with if I offended you on calling that Ballet! But he said Wushu is a form of Entertaining art not a fighting art. Correct me if im wrong but Eagle claw style is Wushu, and if you have seen the demonstrations you might giggle a bit and think.. Gee... this is going to help me HOW in a real situation?

kk I said my part!

-BudoScholar00

"The way of a true martial artist is frought with peril." - Master S.T.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen tkd fighters beat MT fighters before, but interms as TKD being good for fighting I'd say no. I kinda thing MT is also overatted. My list in not particular order has to be.

1. BJJ

2. Hwarangdo

3. Savate

4. Wrestling

5. Hapkido

6. WC

7. MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)

8. Aikido

9. Shotokhan

10. Boxing (I think it has great foot work).

• 3 weeks later...
In no particular order:

1. Shotgun

2. Howbitzer

3. A bomb

4. Cruise missile

5. don't be there the trouble is at all

6. 100 pals lined up behind you

7. bullit proff vest

8. bow and arrow

9. an F-14 Tomcat

10. AH-64 Apache D type "Longbow" helicopter

LOL!

what exactly is krav maga?

and why do people say it wont really work against a trained person, like a BJJ practioner.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

I think this thread has run it's course, now at 34 pages, so I am going to go ahead and close it. Thanks. :)