• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is this true?

ANGELO.B

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

False. In okinawa

However the earliest forms of martial arts were indian such as Kalirapayat and Mhurma-adi.

And yoga originated in india which was the basis of the exercises taught to the Shoulin monks by Daruma (also called Bhodhidarma) and many martial arts including Karate can trace a line back to there.

But karate itself. No.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

false, where did you hear this?

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

iv never herd of that

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Bodidarmma (sp) brought the first MA out of India. Its still up for debate if he was influenced by the Greeks and West or if everything started in India. However from India to China then to Okinawa and Japan.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I agree with Champ, it is still up for debate but that tends to be the most heard of theory. Here's a link to a Shotokan site that has a good page on history, lots of others out there as well. I suggest going to some of these sites and researching some books and come to your own consenus. :D :karate:

http://www.shotokankarate.dabsol.co.uk/shotokan/main/

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Our Sensei's books teach as most of you have said - martial art in general probably started in India, moved with the trade routes to China, then Okinawa, but not until Okinawa was it refined into the forms we know today, but called by names of cities where it was formed, i.e. Naha-te, Shuri-te, etc. I don't believe it was actually called 'Karate' until its introduction into Japan?