• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Full contact - fact or fiction ?"

Having total beginners to spar full contact IMO is not such a good idea. They can hurt themselves really bad because of the lack of techniques not to mention that after some injuries they'll be afraid and we'll have some extremely shy fighters or they'll just leave. At first they should spar lightly in order to learn how and ENJOY it. Afterwards at a higher rank, they'll be able to spice up the things a bit.

My opinion :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

When I started martial arts there were no full contact sparing in karate until 3rd kyu (first brown belt). Before that free sparing or even full-contact free sparing makes no sence since the students don't have the proficency in the techniques. For full contact sparing we wear full helmet (with plexi-glass face protection) full body armor, groin, leg, fists protections. If you get hit really full force it hurts a bit but we don't get injured much. Worst thing I had was a really big blue on my biceps from a misplaced cuki.

1.st kyu Shotokan Karate

1.st dan Aikido

I've been in the ring and knocked people unconscious. I've done the same on the street. And I didn't need a "lethal" technique to do it. Consequently, I KNOW that I can end a fight with my skill. Can you say the same with your untested "lethal" strikes?

It is a good argument, except for one thing. A lethal strike, in most cases, is obvious. You know it will work, but prefer not to apply it. Granted, i haven't killed anyone (that i'm aware of), but that doesn't mean it's untested, only that i have not applied it.

I'm not saying it can't work, but look at the last part of your sentence - YOU have not applied it. Consequently, how do you know that YOU can make it work? There are thai boxers that can make a flying knee work in the ring - I can't, because my flying knee sucks.

the full glass makes less noise. btw the wonderful thecniques u can land on the ground doesnt mean anything if there is even 2 people unless u got some wide legs to fit every one in your guard.

on that same token, the wonderful techniques you use that are so lethal don't mean anything if you can't hit the specific target.

I think training full contact is good only after you are proficient with the basics of fighting first. Having a strong base first will help reduce the risk of getting severly hurt or vice versa.

I can understand that point. However, we've never had a newbie get injured. you start them off with active drilling, then move immediately into light contact sparring, with full contact rules. By light contact, I mean about medium or so. The coach will make corrections, and you are also drilling, so you are learning proper technique at the same time you are fighting.

It is a good argument, except for one thing. A lethal strike, in most cases, is obvious. You know it will work, but prefer not to apply it. Granted, i haven't killed anyone (that i'm aware of), but that doesn't mean it's untested, only that i have not applied it.

I'm not saying it can't work, but look at the last part of your sentence - YOU have not applied it. Consequently, how do you know that YOU can make it work? There are thai boxers that can make a flying knee work in the ring - I can't, because my flying knee sucks.

No dessert for you, for taking my comments out of context. :P

My argument posed in that particular post was, "common sense."

It is common sense that if i grab your finger and bend it against the direction of the joint, the bone will either break, or the joint will dislocate. Just because i haven't applied it doesn't mean it doesn't work... only that i haven't applied it. But common sense clearly shows that it will work.

Also, i can 'practice' the action, without actually committing to the end result. Same can be said for many of the finishing locks. You don't necessarily have to 'break' someone's arm just to know it works. You can apply the technique without actually applying the end result. Especially in practice, where you're supposed to be maintaining a degree of trust with your training partner, not putting him in the hospital every workout session (or the morgue for that matter), just because you have no self-control or lack the 'common sense' to realize techniques will work.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I've been in the ring and knocked people unconscious. I've done the same on the street. And I didn't need a "lethal" technique to do it. Consequently, I KNOW that I can end a fight with my skill. Can you say the same with your untested "lethal" strikes?

I've done enough door work to answer yes.

>>>PS<<<

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim. Sifu Wong.