• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Videos

Valithor

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in finding some footage of some katas. Anyone who knows such sites, I would be grateful if you could post some links. I know there are variations on some of these kata.

Goju's Suparenpei

Goju's Sanchin

Goju's Tensho

Shotokan's Unsu

Thanks

Keep Smiling!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i look under google when i look for katas, just type in the name of the kata and it will usually bring up something

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

The Kenneth Funakoshi kata videos as sold in Century and Panther are good. However their is very little dialogue in them so if you don't have a understanding of the kata then its hard to learn just from the video but they are excellet to help refresh and aid in learining at home.

Goju's Sanchin and Tensho are Shotokan kata under differant names I think. Well I guess they are Goju kata under Shotokan names. LOL. But anyhow. Is Sanchin our Sochin???

Check out 24fightingchickens.com for Shotokan kata history.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

See if you can get the Panther series-Morio Higaonna video collection. The series is broken down to each kata (1 video per kata) and is extremely comprehensive. I got my copies from ebay from a guy in America.

I don't know of any sites that feature mpegs of kata though.

Goju's Sanchin and Tensho are Shotokan kata under differant names I think. Well I guess they are Goju kata under Shotokan names. LOL. But anyhow. Is Sanchin our Sochin???

I don't think so. There are some similar katas within the styles but I do not belive that this are any of them. Although like you I am not sure :roll: Sanchin is a dynamic tension kata performed very slowly with only a few basic moves the only stance is, obviously, Sanchin.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

I think Sanchin is our Hangetsu. I will look it up and get back to you.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

No, Sanchin and Tensho are not related to any of the Shotokan kata. I know these kata, but I was hoping to find some footage of perhaps more original versions so as to compare and contrast the versions I have learnt.

I'm also hoping to find some free versions online.. if I'm lucky :D

Keep Smiling!

I think Sanchin is our Hangetsu. I will look it up and get back to you.

In Wado-Ryu Seishan (or Seisan) kata is shotokan's Hangestsu with a few different moves.

This site has a few Goju kata clips, not sure if they're the ones you want tho:

http://www.spokanekarate.com/kata/index.php

This one has good descriptions of the techniques in Goju Sanchin:

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Union/CombatKarateClub/katamain.html

This one is descriptions of the techniques in Goju Suparinpei:

http://www.btinternet.com/~goju.ryu/Katas/suparinpei.htm

Sorry I couldn't find much else on t'net for Goju kata.. it's mainly shotokan stuff :roll: :)

Osu!

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

Funakoshi tried to change several of our kata names to Japanese from Okanawna however for some reason only about half stuck here is a list from the 24fightingchickens.com site.

scroll down the page.

http://24fightingchickens.com/kata/05_allkata.html

Marjor you are right its Seishan that is like our Hangetsu.