• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beginner Styles?

I would like to start a martial arts program, but not sure what would be best to begin from the ground floor. I need something that would be easy to learn, yet effective in self defense. What are some good styles I could try as a beginner? I am also not as fit as I used to be. My boyfriend is a red belt (is it red right before black?) in Hapkido and his school is a part of the International Hapkido Federation.

Reizende

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'll move this too "Getting started in Martial Arts" forum where you will get more help :)

My opinion would be: go to Hapkido with your boyfriend. That way you have a training partner, and he can help you. My boyfriend and I trained together, till I left his school, but we still train at home. It really helps to have someone close to you train with you. It really helps.

Laurie F

what are your goals?

if "easy to learn" but effective in selfdefense is your primary concern, something like krav maga may be good for you. notice, i said "easy to learn", not necessarily "easy to get good at". you can learn the basics, but you will need to practice alot to get good at ANYTHING.

if you have larger goals (want to pass on a system, lifelong journey, etc) then perhaps other arts may suit you as well.

as tommarker said, what about Hapkido? or did you want to do something different than your b/f?

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

You can start any art. Don't let the fact you're new to martial arts hold you back, just pick an art that interests you, and approach nearby schools.

They will all, no doubt, have some sort of beginner's programme.

Stick with it, though, even if it seems hard at first. The first time I went to a karate class to watch I nearly walked out in tears. I'd always wanted to learn a martial art, but was almost certain that I'd never be able to do the stuff the other students were doing, that I'd never understand the Japanese and that I'd never be fit enough.

It almost gave up right there and then, but thank goodness I didn't.

No matter what art you pick you'll no doubt feel embarrassed and awkward at first, but if you keep pushing through that you'll master it in the end.

Good luck! :karate:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Every art is a begginer art, and Hapkido is a good one. But if you aren't comfortable with it, there should be several schools in your area. All should help you get in shape, though some better than others.

What you want out of the martial arts will determine what style and school you get involved with. None of the ones worth while are easy to learn, but there are several that are good for self defense. Hapkido is one. I do American Kenpo, and it is an extremely effective, self defense oriented art. Jui Jitsu is excellent, as is Mui Thai, and the Philipino Martial Arts. There are a lot of others, so check out what is available in your area.

I'd stay away from the quick, easy, deadly secret arts (which happen to be available to any one for a price). The Krav Maga I've seen is garbage- it will get you hurt or killed. SCARS is quickly learned, but very limmited. There are some quickly learned reality based arts, but generally they aren't as effective as a good ongoing plan of instruction. If you need something quick, try something like RMCAT (sorry, I don't have their link, but a search should find them easily). They are expensive, and you'll have to spend a week in Colorado, but I hear they are the best. You can then build on that base and improve your skills with a solid martial arts school.

Good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

It'll be terribly confusing at first. I didn't walk out of my first class in tears, but my head sure was spinning! (Also, having been sidelined with a chronic foot problem for 3 years, my mule was a fire-breathing lizard! :lol: ) This stuff seems much harder to learn than dance. Stick with it and don't give up because you WILL begin to enjoy it, and also, of course, because the more self-defense (as opposed to sport) oriented systems have practical applications.

A good teacher makes all the difference. I can't praise mine highly enough. He's patient (EXTREMELY patient, with a 43-year-old belly dancer fumbling through martial arts), he's flexible, he's encouraging, and he knows how to explain things clearly, which is very important. There are people who can do something very well but can't explain it clearly to others. As you watch prospective teachers, try to understand what they're saying. See how they respond to the beginners' questions, see if you can make any sense out of their answers. My system doesn't have beginners' classes, intermediate classes, and advanced classes, because it concentrates on constantly reviewing and building on the basics. So I'm in there with more experienced students, and they help me out too. I can't praise my fellow students highly enough either. Look for a class where the students are interested in helping each other. Good luck!

simple, going for simple stuff, go for jeet kune do, kickboxing, muay thai, shootfighting, judo, kempo, self defense classes.

going for complex stuff, go for karate, taekwondo, kungfu, hapkido, grappling, groundfighting, escrima, kali, jui justsu.