• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting With a BO Staff

Another method of measuring a bo is to hold one arm up over your head, bend your hand at the wrist, and that should be the proper size of your bo.

I personally would go with a lighter bo to start. It'll allow you to work your strikes, twirls, whips, spins at the same time cause you to work on controlling the speed of your bo. Since you will have the potential to have many different type bo's, just increase the weight gradually as you see fit.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks SaiFightsMS, I knew I was on the right track. It makes sense for certain weapons to be proportional to your height. Kind of like a bike frame should be appropriate depending upon how long your legs are which generally follows with how tall you are. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Any opinions on a graphite bo vs. other materials?

Rachael

Kenpo - Red/Black Belt

Tae Kwon Do (long time ago)

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and keep trying again.

With a graphite bo, you need to powder your hands first which works really well with a black gi. Some traditionalists would think they are too modern Sai?

Rachael

Kenpo - Red/Black Belt

Tae Kwon Do (long time ago)

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and keep trying again.

I'd like to call myself a traditionalist.. if a graphite Bo works best for you, then great. But personally I like the feel of a real Red Oak Bo that's got a good weight to it.

Different strokes for different folks :)

But I'll never understand transparent LED glowing nunchuku or Bo with silver glitter on tho - I kid not! :roll:

osu :karate:,

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

Wood and rattan are also flexible, where metal is not. A heavy strike down is blocked with much less of a jolt to the shoulders when the bo is able to bend slightly.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, Thank you to you all who have helped me make a decision about starting with a BO Staff!!! I have not made a final decision yet, but I have to ask this question... is there any websites that I can start looking at prices? Thanks for any and all of your ideas :idea: Thanks again :)

Ryan Lotich

1st Dan Tae-Kwon-Do

Quote:

Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.---Master Yoda