• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting With a BO Staff

Hello, I am interested in practicing with a BO Staff. What is the size of BO Staff should I get (I'm 5' 7.5")? What type of grade or type of wood should I start out with? What weight should I start off with? What are some other basic tips and training exercises that I should start working on? One last question, Where should I purchase a BO Staff? Your input would be very useful to me. Thank you.

Ryan Lotich

S.D.Y. Tae-Kwon-Do

1st Dan

AIM: sdy1dan

E-mail: ace_spades21@hotmail.com

Ryan Lotich

1st Dan Tae-Kwon-Do

Quote:

Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.---Master Yoda

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the Bo becomes "your" weapon, you'll end up experimenting and accumulating 8-9 different kids of staffs anyways :)

might as well get the one that everyone else has. we usually tell people to cut the staff down to about forehead level at first.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

as for weight, i'd get one heavier than you would ever possibly use. thatway, the muscles in your arms will get stronger and you'll get a little bit better control.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Shouldn't the Bo be atleast a foot taller than your height? I was told that a traditional Bo staff length is 6ft. But you are tall the Bo should be taller to compensate for your height.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

For our regular staffs (not long or short) we say between chin and eye brow for length, but if you can't find one just right, go shorter instead of longer (makes some of our spins easier).

As for weight, I'd agree that learning with a heavy staff is great for building up arm muscles.

Aamorn - KSW Chuhng Di

Aamorn KSW

For our regular staffs (not long or short) we say between chin and eye brow for length, but if you can't find one just right, go shorter instead of longer (makes some of our spins easier).

Isn't that considered a quarter staff?

as for weight, i'd get one heavier than you would ever possibly use. thatway, the muscles in your arms will get stronger and you'll get a little bit better control.

That's sometimes a matter of opinion. And, unfortunately, it's not mine. :D

IMHO, as I was told by my master, you should start with a lighter staff, to build your technique and speed. Once you've got that down, then go to a heavier staff. Besides, you spin a staff a few hundred times in each position, every day, and you'll have rock hard forearms anyway. :up:

As for the length, about your own height. Type of material, I prefer rattan, but you should come to your own conclusion there. Where to buy, wherever you get a good deal. You'll own a few, as already stated, if you stick with it.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

As we all know hardwoods like Oak, Hickory, Walnut, and such make slightly heavy and extremely strong Bo staffs. I'm a heavy guy so I can wield a pretty heavy Bo. Lighter people should stick to lighter Bo's unless they like heavy ones. I do think though that the length of the Bo is susposed to be proportional to one's height. Traditional Bo staff lengths are usually based on the stature of Asian people from long ago. Western people are usually taller and the Traditional Bo Staffs will seem a little short. For example the average height of an American is about 5'9'' and the average height of a Japanese person in Pre-War Japanese was about 5'4" maybe. So the 6 ft. Bo staff was aleast 6 inches taller than they were. So I would think that based on your own structure and height the Bo Staff should be about 6 inches to a foot taller than you. I can find out with my teacher whom is very knowledgealbe about such things.