• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shotokans reverse punch

Shotokan_Fighter

do any of you put drive into your reverse punch? we are taught to drive into our reverse punch, driving puts alot more power into your reverse punch and it gives you better reach. are you guys taught to be loose and then tighten at the end of your punch? i hope most of you are cause it helps out alot.

I hope so too. As this is one of the most basic principles of karate technique.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is the most powerful attck ive ever heard of

thats right

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

In Shito-Ryu Karate, we are trained to use our hip to propel our Reverse punch. Most of the power comes from the hip, so not only is it devestatingly fast, but it is also devastatingly powerful.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

The Shotokan reverse punch is, to the best of my knowledge no different from any other styles reverse punch
AFAIK Shotokan chambers reverse punches at the hip (in formal rather than sparring style), whereas other styles I've tried (Seido, Kyokushinkai, Seidokan) chamber punches more like level with the bottom ribs.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

I think morote-tsuki can be even more powerful when correctly performed. But yes, reverse punch is a cannon with proper hip action.
Morote Tsuki = Double Punch?

I've never been able to get that much power into it - although you can drive your body forward with it, because you're punching with both hands you can't get any power from hip/shoulder rotation.

Anyways, the Karate reverse punch is part of the staple diet of Karate and a very powerful technique.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Usually morote-zuki is actually applied to behind. You kinda turn into it, if you get my meaning. It is a sort of a panic move, when you notice at the last second that someone is rushing you from behind. You turn into him, lock your zenkutzu dachi completely to secure the foundation and thrust the morote-tsuki with full power into his solar, groin or throat/face area. The effect is akin to him running into a wooden log (assuming you got the foundation right). :lol:

God i love reverse punch! still practiceing it though ahh norvice that i am. Hay kives is that double punch ever used to the front then? and is it the one i am thinking off.

PEACE AND LOVE.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"

There are a lot of double punches that can be used to varying parts of the body to devestating effect. I didn't really think about using them until I started learning pressure point theory.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/