• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shotokans reverse punch

Shotokan_Fighter

shotokans known for the reverse punch. i am currently training my reverse punch and i can effectivly land a devastating reverse punch to any of my opponents, what do you guys think of the reverse punch in a street fight? i have used it one time and it worked great for me, i took the kid down with one hit. and what are some of the training you do to improve your reverse punch?

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very powerful move.

Yes its shotokan's trade mark move.

When working basics its almost always our last move so it gets more work than most basics. At our old club we had some of those wall mounted punching pads. I don't know what you call them. They are spring loaded. Well anyhow we would work on them. However its all about the hip and how far and fast it can drive the fist.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Hi, There are a number of ways to train the reverse punch:

1. Practise it in its most basic form i.e has you would in kihon.

2. shadow boxing in your prefered fighting stance.

3. Hitting heavy bag or the wall mounted (makiwara) that champ was talking about, either in its basic form or from a fighting stance.

Has far has the technique goes, remember to use your whole body to do the technique, not just the arm and shoulder.

More or less. However Shotokan's focus in on the hips and throwing them with the punch. Its not just a cross....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't a reverse punch just a punch with your back hand?

The reverse punch in Shotokan is a devastating technique. When it is executed properly with full hip rotation, it can do some serious damage to the unfortunate person on the recieving end. :brow:

Remember it can also be used while stepping fowards to get more momentum and is also thrown to the face, as well as many other parts of the body. My reverse punch packs almost as much power as my kicks. :)

Work on it you wont be dissapointed. :up:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

shotochem wrote

My reverse punch packs almost as much power as my kicks.

mine to man, id be afraid to hit someone in a street fight with my hardest reverse punch, beacuse i would seriously hurt someone. that is no joke at all, i am serious. I am a strong person naturally and i weight lift so i am a strong person. In shotokan karate i have developed so much power in all my techniques, especially my reverse punch.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

The Shotokan reverse punch is, to the best of my knowledge no different from any other styles reverse punch. Certainly not Goju-ryu as I have studied both extensively.

Okay so your punch is already extremely hard, obviously, so my advice maybe in vain.

To improve power: when hitting the bag have the rear leg slightly bent, prior to throwing the punch straighten the leg, then throw the hip, etc, etc.

I train RP (reverse punch) in various ways on the bag. One way is a rythmic pounding. With what I said above you can transfer your bodyweight forward and back as you punch, this way you will really appreciate the extra power you are creating by getting the whole body behind the punch.

Also develop the tanden and learn to extract power from this area. Easier said than done, I know, but it is where the power is.

Of course eventually you should be working up to punching without retracting the other arm, if you still are doing this.

We used to have "strike shields" that you would buy from a MA shop but after sensei broke someones ribs through them he had to come up with his own thicker made one :o Surfice to say, it still hurts holding the bag for sensei.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

do any of you put drive into your reverse punch? we are taught to drive into our reverse punch, driving puts alot more power into your reverse punch and it gives you better reach. are you guys taught to be loose and then tighten at the end of your punch? i hope most of you are cause it helps out alot.

Shotokan_fighters creed