• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self Tutoring vs. McDojo training

aznkarateboi

Which one will train you better?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will train you better?

• daily Self tutoring with books, videos, tapes, and one partner
    • 3 or 4 times a week Training under an incompetent instructure in a bad dojo

i didnt mean it like that. i am still an advocate of self training simply because its stupid not to be, i mean these founders wernt all taught, it had to come from somebody just making crap up. and no, you know me better than that. you know im not here to 'kick ass'.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

daily Self tutoring with books, videos, tapes, and one partner

At least this way you aren't supporting the clown. But I'd have to qualify my vote by saying it assumes you have a good partner, you get good videos and books, you have the ability to learn this way, and you are willing to put in all the extra work. And what you get still won't be as good as at a decent school with good instruction. If you do ever have to go that route, I'd highly recomend traveling for good private instruction as often as possible. Then be prepared to unlearn a lot of bad habbits. Ben there, and it is a tough way to do it.

Freedom isn't free!

What do you want out of it? To be able to kick someone's ass? Well, sheesh, yea, work out a lot, develop a bad attitude, and hang out with some rough guys, and get more practice than you'd ever get in a dojo. You'll prolly end up being a great fighter, and probably would be able to kick some ass.... especially mine

i personally think that martial arts training would help you become a fighter more efficiently than hanging out with "tough guys"

If you're looking to pursue the martial arts for other or more reasons, then without a teacher or some kind of feedback, you're not going to learn anything from a video. You'll pick up some bad habits... and when you eventually find a competent instructor, they'll spend time working out those bad habits. In this case, either way, you will suck!

Well, I'm not too sure about the bad habit part. I think that if you pay attention when studying and note every detail, you're technique will be devoid of major mistakes that will have a great negative impact on your fighting.

Bad instruction is worse than no instruction, IMHO. Using videos and books, you're still receiving instruction from a poor teacher: YOURSELF.

Wrong. Using videos and books, you are recieving instruction from the author of the book or video, who is likely to be a competent instructor and fighter. Practicing by yourself is not teaching yourself, unless you are making up the moves and calling it karate. IMO, bad instruction is better than no instruction at all, because mistakes can be corrected.

I'd personally tell someone unable to get quality instruction to spend time developing themselves physically until the right teacher comes around.

I think that is good advice, but I don't think that if you pay close enough attention to your studies, it will be counter-productive

i taught myself some shotokan, but i study isshinryu in a dojo

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

If you want to self-train yourself to be a fighter then here is how you do it: :wink: :P :lol:

1. Physical training

You're going to need to be tough, and have great conditioning. So start working out in the gym, and do plenty of cardio. Do enough flexibility work to get you by. You're not doing any flying spinning flipping something-or-others...

2. Basics

Ok, you don't have a teacher so forget the advanced stuff. If you want to learn a weapon I suggest a club, it goes with the thug style. Get a punching bag to practice bullyin... er, your techniques. Jab, cross, haymaker, front kick and roundhouse kick are all you need. However, if you got mad skill then try out a hook punch. They're neat.

3. Sparring

Since you don't have a partner you're going to have to 'volunteer' somebody. I hear that local bars and clubs are a great place to start. If that fails then you can always grab somebody anywhere and hope you can run fast after the cops arrive.

4. Future

Now that you're in jail and somebody's bitch maybe you've learned your lesson?

Seriously though, training at a McDojo until you're ready, or can find another dojo is just as good/bad as home tutoring. You will probably get better instruction on the basic training at the McDojo because you are more involved and can see the basics in person. However, the McDojo will inflate your ego when you get your blackbelt in six months...

If you want to self-train yourself to be a fighter then here is how you do it: :wink: :P :lol:

1. Physical training

You're going to need to be tough, and have great conditioning. So start working out in the gym, and do plenty of cardio. Do enough flexibility work to get you by. You're not doing any flying spinning flipping something-or-others...

2. Basics

Ok, you don't have a teacher so forget the advanced stuff. If you want to learn a weapon I suggest a club, it goes with the thug style. Get a punching bag to practice bullyin... er, your techniques. Jab, cross, haymaker, front kick and roundhouse kick are all you need. However, if you got mad skill then try out a hook punch. They're neat.

3. Sparring

Since you don't have a partner you're going to have to 'volunteer' somebody. I hear that local bars and clubs are a great place to start. If that fails then you can always grab somebody anywhere and hope you can run fast after the cops arrive.

4. Future

Now that you're in jail and somebody's * maybe you've learned your lesson?

Oh c'mon, get real :roll:

I don't think anyone would be so stupid and try that.

But, if this was a joke, then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kill is love