• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self Tutoring vs. McDojo training

aznkarateboi

Which one will train you better?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will train you better?

• daily Self tutoring with books, videos, tapes, and one partner
    • 3 or 4 times a week Training under an incompetent instructure in a bad dojo

Though I'm not an advocate of either and train at a good dojo, I was wondering which one you guys thought would be better. What do you think would be better, someone trained with just a partner (who is equally unskilled in karate) using videos, books, and all kinds of resources, or someone who trains at a McDojo under some obese sensei who hardly knows what he's doing?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Training in either way is dangerous, u could get hurt badly in a fight. I suppose if your a competant fighter, say a black belt in karate and decide to learn a bit of kung fu from books, then thats alright.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

Well I think the McDojo would be best at first since even the most incompetent instructor will probably be at least proficient in the basics.

After that, both would be pretty hopeless.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

the mcdojo, just because there are other students in the class that you can learn stuff from and the chances are, as peviously stated, he's got to be competent at SOMETHING. he'll also probably have better equipment to train with and such.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

oh this is ludicris. people! for the love of god! the mcdojo's are the ones that have given you guys this mind set that self training is a mortla sin! would you lighten up! i know some self trained fighters that could eliminate alot of the competetion...espicially that guy up there that said either way you'll suck!.... :lol:

i think training in a dojo is best but your better off if your fates in your own hands than some inconfident idiot.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

there's always something of value to be had from any dojo, in my experience, otherwise no one would go. i know my self way to well to entrust something so important to myself, :lol:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

oh this is ludicris. people! for the love of god! the mcdojo's are the ones that have given you guys this mind set that self training is a mortla sin! would you lighten up! i know some self trained fighters that could eliminate alot of the competetion...espicially that guy up there that said either way you'll suck!.... :lol:

i think training in a dojo is best but your better off if your fates in your own hands than some inconfident idiot.

Especially me, eh? OK. Sorry for expressing my opinion. Are you still mad because I gave you more or less the same advice a few months ago?

What do you want out of it? To be able to kick someone's ass? Well, sheesh, yea, work out a lot, develop a bad attitude, and hang out with some rough guys, and get more practice than you'd ever get in a dojo. You'll prolly end up being a great fighter, and probably would be able to kick some ass.... especially mine :roll:

If you're looking to pursue the martial arts for other or more reasons, then without a teacher or some kind of feedback, you're not going to learn anything from a video. You'll pick up some bad habits... and when you eventually find a competent instructor, they'll spend time working out those bad habits. In this case, either way, you will suck!

Bad instruction is worse than no instruction, IMHO. Using videos and books, you're still receiving instruction from a poor teacher: YOURSELF.

I'd personally tell someone unable to get quality instruction to spend time developing themselves physically until the right teacher comes around.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.