• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

AnonymousCoward wrote:

recommends...using a bucket full of beans (not baked beans)

This image gave me a laugh! It would be very messy...you could always

stick in some sausages and have a snack afterwards...

I don't see what this has to do with ANYTHING.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah, they called them Cestus. They normally had metal studs or spikes on them to, and htey where mainly used to brutalize your foe even more. Many Warrior wore them in battle aswell, to beat the crap out of there foe if the fighting go to close for the sword and spear.

No, the Romans added the extra goodies, the Greeks used leather.

What are you fererrnig to is good old fastion Fisticuffs. It is the stance taken by the Mascot of the Notra Dam, right? With the backs of the fist facing you oppenent? Yeah. It was a bit different from the boxing we see today, and it was more a street fighting style then a sport.

Different rules different stances, LPR and Broughtons had different stances, and different fighters within those had different stances.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

• 2 months later...

Bare Knuckle Boxing is quite a bit older than the 19th century- before the marquis of queensbury it was a much more brutal form, and combined bouts used to occur with bare fist rounds and then weapons. The bare fist bouts had grappling and locking available to the combatants making it a full martial art. The posture adopted before the silly back of the knuckles forward was a more extended lead arm position that gave superb defense (and something modern boxers have found difficult to impossible to deal with- combined with the strategies of the art). The feet are generally close together at about 90 degrees to each other or a bit less- front foot pointing forward.

Regards

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

granmasterchen wrote:

i recall hearing that they dipped their hands into some type of liquid....don;t remember what it was or the purpose, it might have been to strengthen their hands and knuckles so they wouldn't break as easily.

Yes, I think it was their bandaid (dont know the real word for it) that they, while having it wrapped around their hands, put in liquid co2 (if they even knew how to produce it back then), or at least something to make them freeze and get rock hard.

Please correct me if i'm way off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Despite what you may have heard, the primary goal of boxing gloves is to protect your opponent. Protecting the hands is just a side effect, but they don't protect the hands to the extent you would imagine. The gloves used in all boxing matches are brand new and quite hard because of that fact. Those gloves offer far less cushion than the gloves used in sparring. As a result they mainly protect against broken jaws and ribs. The gloves disperse the force of the punch over a greater area on the opponent's body, so cracked skulls, etc. are less common, but I have been hit by new ring-gloves and bare fists, and there is very little difference. Gloves in boxing clubs are worked in and are designed to have more cushion padding. 14 oz cushiony gloves are the standard for sparring, but 8-10 oz fairly hard gloves are the ring standard.

Many boxers have broken their hands in the ring.

Bare knuckle boxing and sport boxing are different only in the fact that the size of the 12 and 14 oz gloves make it more difficult to land punches on your opponent, but that will only make a bare-knuckle fight seem that much easier to you. Conversely, the large gloves can make it easier for you to defend if you defend like a boxer. But all you have to do is be more acurate with your defence and treat it as if you didn't have gloves on. Giving you a slightly better defense is the only downfall of the gloves, but you can change the way you train with them to remedy that. You can also just use smaller gloves - saves you some scars, and if you get a broken jaw it would be a long time before you spar again, only to rebrake it. Also, it is very common to get an accidental or even intentional thumb or finger in the eye when not using gloves. This has happened to myself and friends of mine a few times and can be dangerous. I'd rather wear gloves than lose half my vision in one eye because some guy didn't trim if nails...

Even if you still decide to go for bare-knuckle boxing, I would highly recommend training with boxing gloves and helmuts until you have developed a solid defense, then you can move to the realism of bare-knuckle fighting with far less risk of injury.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

not quite.

Boxing gloves (mufflers) where first put to use by Jack Broughton a long time ago.

The idea was to prevent bruises and cuts to the face in training so that he could get more upper class people in that weren't willing to be banged up all the time. Matches where of course still bareknuckle.

And that is how gloves protect the face. Less bruises, less cuts = less beat up appearance, more "civilized" look.

Hands are protected too. knuckles are small bones, much smaller then the skull and much easier to break. So wrap the hands, and put a pad on them and you can hit harder.

Of course the real danger isn't as much cuts and bruises as it is brain damage from having your head knocked around.

Now gloves let you get hit harder, and with less visible damage, and in a way less pain, but your brain takes more bouncing around, which is bad for it

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

For me, the impact of the knuckles isn't quite as painful as the rolling of the wrist that occurs when I strike something with too much power. I'm a relatively small guy (5'8", 145 lbs) and my wrists could be stronger. I find that wrapping the wrists gives me an unrealistic idea of how hard I can punch without causing myself damage.

smr,

Just keep training and your wrists will get strong enough. I'm pretty much the same size and weight as you and my wrists would roll sometimes when I first started, but now I can easily go full force on a hard punching bag with no gloves or wraps. It is mainly a matter of technique - making sure not to hit the bag in a way that will cause your wrists to roll. Doing some wrist exercises wouldn't hurt though.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!