• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm looking to take a grappling art to complement my karate. I'm decent on the ground but have no formal instruction.

What I'd like is a style that does some ground work, but emphasized devastating throws (ie hip toss) more than 'taking the fight to the ground.'

I'm considering wrestling or judo and am wondering which will focus on this more/be the most powerful in this regard.

Thanks.

EDIT: Mods, I just realized I posted this in general martial arts when I meant to do it in comparative styles. Feel free to move it.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps complimenting your style with some Aikido based throws could be effective? Many of the throws can compliment various styles, and are very versatle, for example, the sokumen irimi nage (side-entering throw) from yoshinkan style Aikido.

Hmm...although aikido does interest me, I'm itchin for some competition, which I know both wrestling and judo have in spades.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Both are excellent choices.

Funakoshi worked closely with the Judo schools in Toyko and lots of Judo like moves are in Shotokan because of it. So it may be a better fit for you karate.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Both are excellent choices.

Funakoshi worked closely with the Judo schools in Toyko and lots of Judo like moves are in Shotokan because of it. So it may be a better fit for you karate.

Yes, I have noticed some judo techniques in the wado katas. You're right, that might be a better fit.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate