• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Osteoarthritis - Effects on kicks

Ises

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Actually, since I have nothing to compare them with, I'd say no. I think he's pretty flexible with the depth of them as well. I'm really please with my sensei in how he lets me work around a lot of things. He can tease me on occasion mind you and more or less "force" me to do better with things.

Keep as mobile as you can or you will lose what mobility you have! I have arthritis in several joints and find that if I lay off even just a week my joints bother me. :cry: Drink plenty of fluids and eat well-knock off the dairy and sugar and you may feel better overall too. :D As far as supplements-talk to your orthopedist to get a recommendation...or a good homeopath or holistic physician. You can adapt any technique to fit your "challenges" but it may take some experimentation. I wouldn't change styles, I would just change mindset. :)

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Excellent advice! Thanks so much! Now, if only I could get the mindset to control my diet. I've got the motivation and discipline for the working out end of things but my diet just sucks! Well, no fast food, etc but I don't eat as well rounded as I should.

... my diet just sucks! Well, no fast food, etc but I don't eat as well rounded as I should.

A ballanced diet is important. But with arthritus you may need to make further adjustments. No corn, no potatoes, nothing from the nightshade family. You may have to regulate butter and meats a little. It really sucks!

When I looked at my diet plan and my wife asked what it said, I replied "It says I'm going to die a cripple!":uhoh:

Freedom isn't free!

Nightshade side of the family? What is that? Forgive my ignorance. Although I must admit, sometimes I just wish someone would make a solid diet up for me, maybe two weeks or three weeks worth. I'd stick to it perfectly. I'm good that way, it's when I have to make up my own that I can't seem to manage. Odd in a way.

Nightshades include tomatoes, potatos, onions, and eggplant. They contain certain chemicals that can exacerbate arthritis symptoms. I myself do not have a problem with any of them. To see if you do you must eliminate them completely from your diet for a minimum of 2 weeks and then re-introduce them one at a time into your diet. If you have a return or increase in symptoms don't eat that food! Go back to 2 weeks without any and then re-introduce another. Takes time but worth it in the long run. I would suggest a diet of whole foods-nothing processed or prepackaged-for a month. You will be surprised at how your arthritis symptoms will decrease when you stop eating chemicals, sugars, and unhealthy fats. Once you feel good it will be pretty easy to stick to it because you won't want to feel like cr** again. For me, elimination of ALL dairy made a huge difference!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I have a traumatic arthritis in my left elbow from where it was broken in 1994, and I'm 43 so my knees are starting to make funny noises, and I am also getting over a horrible case of Achilles tendinitis that dragged on for 3 years. So what did I do? I ran out and started Jinenkan, where you grapple, you roll, you have footwork, and you throw! :lol: And I'm having surprisingly little trouble, possibly because I did some market research beforehand and explained my physical condition to every prospective teacher before I started. Everybody was very honest and very helpful; several teachers of various styles advised me against theirs. The Jinenkan teacher said the system was flexible enough that everybody could do most of it, and even the seriously impaired could do some of it. Their oldest practitioner is in his 70's. So that's one reason I ended up with them. So I would say the first thing you need is an equally flexible system.

Moving around definitely helps. My knees aren't nearly as noisy as they were before I started Jinenkan 3 months ago. I have had no trouble with my elbow. So I would keep moving as much as you can.

I have not found that what I eat makes any difference. Either I'm sore that day or I'm not. However, it looks like it has made a difference for several people, so I'd experiment with that too if I were you.

Make sure you let your teacher know you can't do some move or other. A good teacher in a flexible system should be able to find a way to modify most things and find you something that will put the attacker, not you, out of commission. :) Good luck!