• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The 2nd greatest martial artist of all time!

Norris does TSD but was a student of Lee's as well.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

norris was a student of lees? i didnt know that

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Norris was Lee's training pal. Neither were the other's instructor per se.

I vote for Norris, his movies have brought people to martial arts from 60's to the 80's and the Walker series in the 90's. His Kick-Drugs-Outta-USA is something much more than most other MA stars have ever pulled off. His no-nonsense, no-BS, no-self-proclaim, humble style earns him some extra points. He started with TSD but has studied other arts and created his own style altogether (Chun Kuk Do, a very modern mix). He has either a brown or a black belt in BJJ from Machados. Before he ever met Machados, he was already a judo expert under Gene LeBell (one of the greatest groundfighters ever). Norris retired as undefeated champ. He is not just a movie star, he was already a MA champ and star prior to that. He has been awarded 8th dan in korean styles by authentic Korean organizations. He has written a couple of inspirational books about zen in everyday life. He has never said a bad thing about any person or art. He is a genuine nice guy. What else can we say?

Kirves you said it perfect.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

It's hard to say that there is a "greatest"; any single one martial artist who made a great difference. There are a few who made comparable strides;

Gichin Funakoshi, founder of Shotokan Karate

Mas Oyama, founder of kyokushin karate, a TOUGH guy.

Bruce Lee, for mass publicity and ideas regarding cross-training.

Chuck Norris, he may be a little cheesy but had a lotta influence

Morihei Ueshiba, founder of Aikido

Jigoro Kano, founder of Judo. His guys actually practiced MOST of the moves in modern day BJJ.

There are many more martial artists who have made a difference - I'm sure there are hundreds we have never heard of. However, I think these are not the GREATEST but the onbes who CHANGED martial arts for everyone.

Now, it's tough to say that Helio was the most influential Gracie, because what people SAW was Royce - one of the smallest, weakest Gracies, ripping his way through the UFC. And then there was Rolls, the most technical Gracie, who died a tragically young death. The invincible Rickson, who says he has fought 400 fights without one loss, but I don't really buy it. Royler, the biggest winner in grappling tournaments. Carlos Sr., the first to learn jiu-jitsu from Maeda. Rorion, who made the art popular in the US and was the mastermind behind Royce's fights. However you see it, The Gracies are VERY influential martial artists. They are the only family who could have forced even the most traditional of schools to cover some grappling.[/b]

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

Miyamoto Musashi is meant to have had over 300 real fights without losing.

Geoff Thomson is also meant to have had over 300 real fights without losing.

But is there a requirement for a martial ARTIST to have had any real fights at all?

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Perhaps you are suggesting that world's greatest martial artist is the person who has avoided the most fights?

I think you're suggesting there is a difference between a fighter and a martial artist? If so, I must strongly agree..

Keep Smiling!

360 excellent list

good list 360, mas oyama he was crazy, but good i wouldnt ever wanna fight him after hearing stories about how he trained.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

i wouldnt ever wanna fight him after hearing stories about how he trained.

LOL! I wouldn't ever wanna fight him after hearing stories about how he fought! :lol:

360: Good list on Japanese arts (except Lee, of course). Now if other people would list the most influential people in other arts, we'd get a good list combined.