• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The 2nd greatest martial artist of all time!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that it can be clearly defined exactly who is the greatest martial artist of all time. The question is akin to asking who the greatest musician of all time was, or the greatest painter, etc. Each martial artist has the potential to be 'great' in their own respect. Bruce Lee presented his own brand of martial arts to the masses, and made the previously lesser-known concept of martial arts to mainstream America. This made him great in one respect. Other martial artists certainly surpassed Master Lee in actual combative success, but martial arts is not soley about combat.

Lee has to be first. Because the impact he had on MA's growth in the USA and arround the world. Was he the best fighter? No. Was he the best at kata and weapons? No. Was all of his ideas right? No. However he was the or is the ICON of MA. You say Bruce Lee and everyone reguardless of the country you live in knows your talking about some kind of MA. Thats why Lee is number one.

That is also why I say Norris in number 2. However that can be debated much more than Lee.

Lee is the reason we are all in MA like it or not. Despite the efforts made by the JKA and other MA groups to bring MA to the USA and the world after WWII it would not have been done if not for movies and tv. Lee happend to be the poster child for karate/kung fu as we know it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I agree what would make him number one would be the way the world now sees martial arts due to bruce lee making it popular in the western world, chuck norris is great as is jacki chan, jet li and many others, I also greatly respect miyamoto musashi, he was the man back in his day...yet through out time there are different icons of all fighters, at our time I think we would have to look at the tv and use all the big names that we see....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Morihei Ueshiba greatest martial artist of all time.

Bruce Lee second greatest.

Kendo is like starwars and everyone gets to be Darth Vader.

"Luke, I am your sensei"

Ok guys i'll refrase the question entirely, who are the greatest MODERN martial artists, now be it there impact on the MA's or there skill as martial artist. I believe Bruce Lee is the greatest because he was an extreamly skilled fighter, yes, but he also began JKD a very efficient art and was also a great philosopher which inspired many. Name another modern fighter that has had the same impact? One thing I have to say though in terms of fighting skill, remember the shaolin monks, their bodies are conditioned so well it seems inhuman, i've seen them brake solid rock over there heads!

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

have YOU ever broken a rock over their head?

many so-called "amazing feats" are hoaxes and/or shams. this definately applies to martial arts and qigong feats even more so.

beware of what you see, the eyes can deceive.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

i dont think that could ever be measured. it just depends what you want to compare. There could be great martial artists that no one ever knew.

Be everything. Be nothing.

Two obvious choices.

Chuck Norris - Again he was a many time national champ. He brought MA to the pucblic in movies and on tv. He does not use movie tricks like many other stars his stuff looks like moves you and me can do and use. He is a good guy. He still teaches classes. He has advised many school boards and gov. bodies on the good qualities of MA in after school programs.

Hellio Gracie - Without doubt he and his family changed the way all MMA will train. In 93 as Royce (the weaker, younger, slower, lower ranked) member of the family dominated the UFC everyone set up and took notice. Since then ALL MA have took a deep look at how they teach sparring and ground fighting. They have opend schools arround the world and won many many titles.

IMO Norris helped finish a lot of the ideas that Lee started but could not bring to the public with his death and The Gracie Clan has had the greatest impact on MA in the last 20 years.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Interesting question!

It depends entirely on your perception on what makes a martial artist "great". I think their philosophy and way of life is equally important with being a great fighter.

I must admit I haven't done tremendous research into the past, and I'm quite keen to read about some of those mentioned here and elsewhere.

For the moment, I'll vote for Mas Oyama.

Bruce Lee certainly made a very public influence on the martial arts.. does that make a difference? Whilst they are excellent, I don't think Jet Li or Jackie Chan could be considered in a category for "the greatest ever".

As for Chuck Norris, I might be too young.. but I'm not aware of any significant influence he has made. I'm not even sure what style he trains in.

At the moment I don't think the Gracie's would be at the top, as their influence hasn't been completely felt. Although depending on how the world of martial arts develop, they may well end up number one.

Keep Smiling!