• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan

Arys

karateboy wrote

If you are more interested in 'character development', then I would recommend you not practice martial arts at all. If you are more interested in the traditional aspect and Japanese culture, I would recommend Shotokan

what are you trying to say?? that kyokushin is better for fighting, just beacuse it has fought well in K-1 ect. shotokan is one of the best arts for self defense or fighting both the same thing. and if you have a good shotokan school like i do, then either one will be fine. in my experience so far with shotokan karate is awsome, i wouldnt goto any other style of karate or any MA. I feel that shotokan is underated and bashed on to much just beacuse there hasnt been any shotokan stylist in the K-1 or any other tournements. ppl judge styles by the stats shotokan dosent have stats, it dosent need them. I will proove that shotokan is that damn good one day. shotokan needs the respect it deserves, to me kyokushin and shotokan are the 2 best styles of karate for self defense, i dont know to much about kyokushin so i couldnt tell you anything. but if you take up shotokan karate, shotokan is all about power, you develope speed ect. trust me if you stick with it, you will know what im talking about.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Let’s be real. Shotokan’s training does not equip a person to fight a contest fight and I think that is the difference between the two arts.

Shotokan=self defence and "DO"

Kyokushin=contest fighting and self-defence and a lot less "DO"

karateboy wrote

If you are more interested in 'character development', then I would recommend you not practice martial arts at all. If you are more interested in the traditional aspect and Japanese culture, I would recommend Shotokan

what are you trying to say?? that kyokushin is better for fighting, just beacuse it has fought well in K-1 ect. shotokan is one of the best arts for self defense or fighting both the same thing. and if you have a good shotokan school like i do, then either one will be fine. in my experience so far with shotokan karate is awsome, i wouldnt goto any other style of karate or any MA. I feel that shotokan is underated and bashed on to much just beacuse there hasnt been any shotokan stylist in the K-1 or any other tournements. ppl judge styles by the stats shotokan dosent have stats, it dosent need them. I will proove that shotokan is that damn good one day. shotokan needs the respect it deserves, to me kyokushin and shotokan are the 2 best styles of karate for self defense, i dont know to much about kyokushin so i couldnt tell you anything. but if you take up shotokan karate, shotokan is all about power, you develope speed ect. trust me if you stick with it, you will know what im talking about.

I think that you are viewing it the wrong way. I agree that Shotokan and Kyokushin are the best for self defense, but he was asking for a comparison. Having experience in both arts I think that Kyokushin is better and despite what you may think ring fighting is the closest as it gets to street fighting so if it works in a no holds barred ring it is probably a good self defense art.

Amen to that Sho-ju

Shotokan does not train you for any sort of event fighting. It can be applyed but in general Shotokan is a street effective style. Most fights don't go but a few hits in all reality.

Shotokan will never be as good at TKD in point fighting or MT in full contact much less BJJ in the UFC because thats not our focus. We do a bit of each but don't focus on any. What we do focus on is power blocking and power attackes to end things quick. I don't consider myself a great teacher or a really good MA for that matter but I and several of my students have ended things in one combo when being attacked. Shotokan teaches reaction. Its not flashy by any means but it is very effective.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

just out of curiosity, one of you said that Gichin Funakoshi is among the top 5 most known names IMA history, what are the other four.

PS both are good styles, i personnaly like shotokan better.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

That just depends on who you talk to. Bruce Lee is one that will be on everyones list. The others will greatly depend on the style and system you are related to but I think most will agree they have heard the name Funakoshi even if they don't know anything about him. If they have any time in MA's at all.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

how well known is master shimabuku, founder of isshinryu? im really familiar with him but im an isshinryu karate-ka, do other styles really know of him?

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

That just depends on who you talk to. Bruce Lee is one that will be on everyones list.

Only if they're not trying hard enough :) I personally don't think Bruce was squat compared to the hundreds of people with his skill level who didn't have the luxury of looking good on camera.

I don't even know that I'd put Funakoshi in my top five list... Itosu, yes. Funakoshi, ehhh...

fireka, i doubt most martial artists can even spell Shimabuku, much less recognize him as the founder of Isshin-ryu. Doesn't make him any less important.

But this is bigtime topic drift....

I think Shotokan's best asset is it's simplicity.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I have saw the name before in passing however I had no clue who he was.

Your point you made about being able to spell Shimabuku is the perfect reason why Lee will always be on that list. Because everyone knows the name and its simple.

Your right this topic has went off topic LOL

how well known is master shimabuku, founder of isshinryu? im really familiar with him but im an isshinryu karate-ka, do other styles really know of him?

I have been told and read that Shimabuku regretted the state of Isshin ryu in the U.S. His American students were given high dan grades before they left Okinawa and were expected to continue training to achive that rank before teaching and they didn't. The result was a weak style of Isshin ryu that is common in N. A., how true this is, I can say for sure.