• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan

Arys

What are the pluses and minuses of shotokan? I found a really good shotokan Dojo around my house as well as a Kyokushin Dojo. Im not sure which one I would rather take at the moment. So I would like some info on Shotokan :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan is prob. the most popular form of karate. So finding a lot of info and resources on it should not be really hard espically if you really get into it.

Shotokan was founded by Gichin Funakoshi who is one of the top 5 most reconized names in Martial Arts history.

The style its self is built arround the idea of "one punch one kill" Lots of focus is put on the basics. Stance, Good Focus, Form, and Techinque are always stressed. The Reverse Punch is prob. the most reconized Shotokan move.

The style is about a 50/50 split on punching vs kicking. However its not a flashy kicking art. Powerful front, round, side and back kicks.

Shotokan is very balanced. You will pick up enough SD and Sparring to be sucessful at SD within a few ranks. At the same time its a art built arround a moral code and way to live. The dojo Kun. Its a great art for exercise and physical development as well.

Shotokan does not have any weapons training which may be a draw back for some. However we do focus on weapon defense so to say its completely out is false.

Lots of people will say Shotokan does not have a ground game. And although it is not taught early on the deeper you get into it you will find it has a pretty well thought out grappling attack. From throws, and takedowns to the guard and mount. Its not BJJ by any means but its enough to get you past the avg. Joe if you get on the ground.

Now I am a Shotokan person myself and yes I have strong beliefs in it. However you will not find an art as well balanced IMO. Yes some will teach you to fight better faster and some will use things like weapons but not many will offer a little of everything without breaking from the founders ideas for it.

Is the Shotokan school JKA, ISKA, ASKA, FSKA, or other.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Kyokushin has bare knuckle sparring. That's a plus.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

It is???

You watch any traditional Shotokan tournments they are bare knuckle and pretty much full contact.

Thats only a plus if you like pain IMO...

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Shotokan has split into many factions with differing rules, but full contact bare knuckle fighting is very rare nowadays in Shotokan tournaments.

Another plus for Kyokushin: it performs rather well in open full contact and even some NHB arenas. See K1 or Sabaki tournaments for more info.

Kyokushin has lots of similarities with Shotokan, but adds stuff from Goju-ryu, which I count as third plus.

Shotokan has split into many factions with differing rules, but full contact bare knuckle fighting is very rare nowadays in Shotokan tournaments.

Another plus for Kyokushin: it performs rather well in open full contact and even some NHB arenas. See K1 or Sabaki tournaments for more info.

Kyokushin has lots of similarities with Shotokan, but adds stuff from Goju-ryu, which I count as third plus.

I agree.

Full contact Shotokan often looks like point fighting with harder hitting. That is not real fighting. Kyokushin is more up right and the goju ryu adds to the body conditioning aspect. I teach shotokan but it's not very traditional when it comes to sparring. I also agree that full contact is a plus, it's not for everyone and I always make that known but adding full contact training, pad work/heavy bag work does improve your karate training.

Sho-ju

Being a Kyokushin practitioner myself, and having past experience in Shotokan, I must say that Kyokshin is a lot better for self defense. Personally, I think that the Shotokan creed of one hit one kill is an unproven theory. Kyokushin is much more combat-oriented and modern and was developed by Mas Oyama, the best karate practitioner ever. In Kyokushin, you will spar full contact and bare knuckled. You will be able to kick, elbow, and knee any parter of the body(though hand strikes are not allowed to the head in tournaments). I have yet to hear of a bare knuckle full contact to any part of the body shotokan tourney. Shotokan and Kyokushin are stand-up fighting arts and are almost devoid of grappling though they have a small amount. If combat, exercise, and tournament fighting is what you are looking for, then I would definently recommend the Kyokushin school. If you are more interested in 'character development', then I would recommend you not practice martial arts at all. If you are more interested in the traditional aspect and Japanese culture, I would recommend Shotokan.

What are the pluses and minuses of shotokan? I found a really good shotokan Dojo around my house as well as a Kyokushin Dojo. Im not sure which one I would rather take at the moment. So I would like some info on Shotokan :D

You say you found a "really good shotokan dojo". From this statement I presume that you have checked it out. Do you also think that the Kyokushin dojo is really good?

You asked for the plus & minuses of Shotokan. Well it is impossible to say as what some consider to be a minus others may consider a plus. I practiced Shotokan karate for a fair few years blissfully unaware of any other styles :) Sometimes I think that this is the best way............With that said given the choice I would now choose Kyokushin.

My advice to you would be to try both clubs. See which one you like the look off and don't let anybody tell you which one you should do.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"