• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are you working on now?

Man, it's just killing me that there is nothing going on in this area.

So I guess I'll just post a vague sort of "what are you working on now" kind of question. Obviously, we're always working on a little bit of everything, but what is your specific focus lately?

Lately, I've been working on two things. First off, trying to increase the flexibility in my right leg, mostly in spinning techniques. I tie a plastic ball to a string and hang it from the ceiling in the dojang before class and work on wheel kick, spinning crescent kick, spinning hook kick, etc. Every once in awhile, I change the height it hangs from. Once I get a feel for it, I like to hit it, and then kick it before it stops moving, so I'm constantly having to retarget the ball.

The other thing I've been working on is Naihanchi Sam Dan, which then works downhill and affects the other Naihanchis, and eventually, the other forms. It's interesting to have all three pieces of the puzzle and work the techniques over and over. Since there are so many repeated sequences, I start to wonder if the philosophy behind them changes each time and therefore they should be done slightly different in each form, etc.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool topic :) I will move this to general MA, so everyone can enjoy it :)

I am ALWAYS working on technique. Besides that, being more effective at the self defense stuff. And relearning peices of my forms. This school teaches them differently than my last school ..... and I'm totally confused ggggrrrrr LOL.

Laurie F

Besides constantly developing the basic technique, speed, and power of my attacks in general, I've been very diligently attempting to play catch up with my left leg. I find that delivering any kind of kicking technique with my right leg is relativley easy to do with speed, power, and proper form. However, with my left leg, I am faced with more difficulty, and my strikes become somewhat akward, which is inexcusable. I'm progressing, but slowly, and with considerable struggle.

Kata - Wankan

Its a very short and simple black belt kata in Shotokan most don't do it very much. However I tend to like it, I guess because it is short LOL.

This will make me 21 of the 29 kata we practice.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Upper body strength...I guess the org my dojo is in has decided to make some test requirements more official, coming up is my first test where I've actually known how many pushups I'll have to be able to do. I know 35 is peanuts to many of you but it'll be a minor miracle for me. Of course I've been obsessing about pushups so much I'll probably drop dead before we get to that part because I didn't worry enough about endurance :dead:

i am very busy with waiting for my dojang to finally accept beginners again so i can finally get started with MA... have been waiting for so long and its still about 5-8 weeks... until then i am going to work on getting some more flexible and stuff.

Chh, I have an excellent routine for developing upper body strength. Do three sets of 7 wide arm pushups, followed by a set of 18 regular pushups, then a set of 7 'diamond' pushups with a 30 second rest between sets. Do this routine every other day, and after three workouts, add one repitition to each set of pushups. This is the routine that I used to get ready for my Army Fitness Testing, and it drastically increased my pushup repititions before failure.