• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seisan Dachi???

Kyokushin

Can someone please give me a detailed description of Seisan Dachi. I was told that is the stance in a new kata I'm learning in Chito-Ryu, but I've never heard of it before in my other style. I got someone to show me, but I was still a little confused with their description of it.

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Found this description on a web site, hope it helps you some. :)

Seisan dachi is a front stance with inward tension, slightly shorter and narrower than zenkutsu dachi.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Are you familiar with Sanchin dachi? Well Seisan dachi is like a very long wide variation. Take a Hanzenkutsu dachi stance and then change your feet to a Sanchin dachi position.

Isn't it hard to describe something rather than show :)

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Obviously you will not be able to turn your rear foot in as far as you would in a Sanchin dachi stance.

:lol: Yeah, makes you really think. I know Sanchin Dachi. It was one of the first stances I learned in Kyokushin and is used a lot in kata. Unfortuanately I don't know what Hanzenkutsu Dachi is. Drats! So close to understanding it.

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

Han zenkutsu dachi - Half long stance, han means half. So it is like a short longstance. :)

Yeah, makes you really think

Someone will come along with a superb desciption that is crystal clear no doubt :brow:

Alright so let me make sure I'm clear on what you're saying. Hanzenkutsu is just a shorter zenkutsu Dachi, correct? And then you just turn your feet the way they are in Sanchin and you've got Seisan Dachi?

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

--- Mas. Oyama ---

As an afterthought anytime you do hangetusu dachi, sanchin or seisan dachi think of it more as closing your legs together from the waist area down than of just moving your toes inwards. Your knees will thank you.