• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It still is judo just a more traditional form. Most people think of judo as being only the throwing art of the Olympic games but it is a valid form of jiu jitsu.

I did wonder this as Dr Kano studied Jujitsu prior to developing Judo. You're right; when I say it is not judo I am implying that it is not olympic style judo. However as we do striking, punch, kick, elbow, etc, I just figured that it was not a form of judo at all.

My Jujitsu knowlegde is very poor, please excuse me. Any info anyone is willing to give will be greatly received. Thanks.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Um...just taisabaki. Nt really the blend I was looking for but a start.

I understand what you mean, when I was a white belt at JJ I tried to do all the moves really fast and I suppose I came off as kind oif arrogant. But you learn to calm down and if you stick with it, have lots of fun and learn alot. Its just a part of being patient and swallowing your pride. Things that are part of the code, order and reward of traditional martial arts.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

You can certainly tell your Sensei your backround w/o being arrogant. Just don't go around saying, "I'm sorry you don't need to tell me that b/c I've already trained 15 yrs. in karate." It is all in how you say something. I can totally understand being good at some areas and poor in others. I didn't do grappling in my other style and it is VERY embarrassing to go from a senior student to a bumbling white belt who doesn't even know how to breakfall! It might be a good idea to even bring up this fact with your Sensei just to find ways to work on your weak areas (I dunno if you solo train, but it's extremely helpful). In the end it will give him a better understanding of your situation and he could help you even more b/c of this.

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---