• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have recently started going to Jujitsu. The instructor knows that I do karate but I did not mention to what extent I am trained. The first few JJ lessons were great but tonights wasn't all that good.

Obviously there are alot of things in JJ that I do not do in karate but there is also alot that I do do. I have found that the stuff that the assistant instructor has been teaching extremely patronising, through no fault of their own I might add.

I think that next time I am there I should mention that I have trained in Karate for 15 or so years and alot of the basic sweeps, locks, etc are quite familiar to me. Otherwise I am going to get real bored and quit.

I do not wish to come across as arrogant because I know that I still have much to learn from JJ but I already know alot from my karate. I also want to make this clear to the JJ instructor.

Just wanted to get it off my chest :karate:

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I know what you mean telsun. I tried to keep my years of training a secret when I first started looking at dojos. I wore my white belt and didn't say what rank I had been. Although everyone knew I trained somewhere else b/c of my gi patches. Of course some people noticed that I wasn't a novice. However there were still some who would treat you like the belt you wore. It does get annoying. I think you might as well tell them how long you've been training. You should'nt have problems picking up new things if you've trained 15 yrs. Wow, that's a long time :o But you'll be able to settle in more if everyone knows your backround. Of course still be open to corrections. Your never too advanced to take constructive critcism, but I'm sure you know that :) And you could probably bring a lot to that dojo with your experience as well. Just keep in mind that even things you are good at can always be improved.

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

They may have a differant way of teaching some things you know. Its always nice to hear some other thoughts behind the same move you have done for years so don't be in a rush to move on. However I agree that you should tell them you have had training and to what extent. You may just want to bring it up before class in general conversation and not seem like you are asking to be bumped up.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I know what your going through as I do both jiu-jitsu and karate (although it may not have been as bad as I did not experience as much over lap as you describe).

My advice is to grin and bear it. Ignore how patronising it seems, and pay attention. Who knows he may reveal a new element to a technique or new way of perfroming it, which will improve your overalkl martial arts. As karate will improve your JJ.

For example I find the combination of jiu-jitsu taisabaki and hikite great at setting up any technques from throws to locks. When an attack comes in a daigonal step forwards around the punch as you parry the strike, the curl it round to pull the attacking limb to your hara as you bring you back leg forwards to your front and complete the shift (hope that makes sense). The method moves you away from the attack and pulls them off balance (by removing their energy from their hara to yours) neutralising any follow up and plaing you at a potion from where you can stirkes, lock throw anything. This elemt had improved my strategy in karate techniques.

Also the stances in karate improve my jiu-jitsu. When apply an armlock of wrist lock, I find that slipping into kiba datchi and zenkutsu datchi help the lock. When applying the kohono gaeshi wrist lock I pull the captured wrist to my hara and drop into zenkustu datchi, which put my weight fromward and applies pressure to their wrist while keeping on leg back for stability and making it easier to boot them.

Um..what was my point again.

Oh yeah, put up with it, pay attention and you can make an old techniques new.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

i also did karate with a litte bjj and when i started doing bjj full time i was already familiar with the stuff. its just what happens. just wait it out man jiu jitsu is fun.

fight til you die

You said Do Do

Yeah I know.....hehehehehe :lol: :lol:

What style of Jujitsu are you learning?

Well I am not entirely sure :oops: When I asked sensei told me that it used to be Yoshin ryu JJ but has changed to Kano JJ when they changed association, but when I asked about Kano JJ I was told that it is just Judo. However what I am doing is certainly not Judo.

Everyone else, thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming. I did not go strolling in saying "I don't need to be taught this or that because I have been training in karate for 15 years" as I realise that this would be extremely arrogant. In all honestly I thought that my skill would just come to light and it has a couple of times. But the moves I am being taught as a white belt are just so restrictive.

Obviously my throwing ability is rather embarrisingly poor although slightly better than a pure beginners. I think that if I just continue to train there it will become apparent that I am a little more skilled than the average guy. I am picking things up quickly (kyokushin) and I think that before long I will be mixing it with the big boys. Sensei does seem to pay me quite a bit of attention which I think is a good sign.

Beer-monster so you do slip JJ moves in with your karate and vice versa :wink: (vaguely recalling a previous thread).

It is very humbling going from top of the class to bottom. Maybe I should just swallow my pride :wink:

Like I said many wise words already thank you all (BlackBeltJudge :D ).

But I would like to hear any others.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

However what I am doing is certainly not Judo.

It still is judo just a more traditional form. Most people think of judo as being only the throwing art of the Olympic games but it is a valid form of jiu jitsu.