• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kung Fu (Wing Chun) or Kickboxing?

Kung Fu (Wing Chun) or Kickboxing?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Kung Fu (Wing Chun) or Kickboxing?

• Kung Fu (Wing Chun)
    • Kickboxing

like i say,

you are applying a western term, which just so happens to be a not too good translation of a chinese term that actually is closer to meaning fighting art.

what i mean is, don't define what a chinese martial art is using english terms.

the two don't mix very well, especially when you translate from one to the other and back again.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I mean if you consider Bruce Lee to be a Martial Artist you need to consider Boxing to be a Martial Art. JKD has the same ideas as Kickboxing / Muay Thai / Boxing ... of course correct me if I'm wrong. I don't mean they focus on the same thing, but you could put them all into the same classification.

On the note of WC, anyone know how to make a Wing Chun Dummy at home? :) I'd love to have something to condition my forearms with for Karate.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

get a good oily wood log first.

something like teak or maybe red oak would be nice.

minimal knots.

at least four/four and a half feet in length.

if you can get one, let me know and i can send you some plans for one.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

i think so.

a friend sent me the url of a page with lots of games and cartoon avatars.

this just happens to be one of the very few that conforms to the limits on avatar on this site.

it's been too long since i played the ol' snk games.

y'know, have to be honest here.

i have to say that i DO know that the character is called geese howard.

just don't know the name of the thing he is doing....

it was a choice between this and many, many, hello kitty ones.

i think i made the right choice....

I see where a little of the arguments stemmed from.

Practicing something under a set of rules, and practicing something to work under a set of rules... these are completely different. Both boxing and wing chun are practiced under a set of rules, to ensure injuries to those 'practicing' is significantly reduced. However, when one practices boxing, it is to be applied in a ruleset environment, as opposed to wing chun, which is practiced to be applied outside of a ruleset environment.

I.e., one is geared towards application as a sport, within a restricted environ (a ring with gloves, rounds, breaks, judges and a whole mess of limiting rules), while the other is geared towards application in a no-holds barred situation (the street, mall, office, jungle, or sandbox, with rocks, stones, guns, knives, and sand).

On a personal level... any 'system' of combat is worthy of being given the title of 'martial art,' despite it's literal meaning. Whether it be goju-ru karate, tkd, wing chun, wushu, tai chi, judo, aikido, freestyle wrestling, boxing, or fencing, they all offer an insight into combat. Each specializes in a different area, and many of these are applied only under a set of rules... but it is because of these rules that such systems become so intense in their training.

I've learned that systems which allow one to 'compete' also allow for a deeper understanding of techniques and their applicability. Such is the case with judo, wrestling, sambo, boxing, fencing, savate, kickboxing, thai boxing, san shou (not to be confused with san soo), and others that are 'geared' for competition. Granted, they may not be the 'ultimate' martial art, but the fact of the matter is... because these systems are designed to be applied in competition, they receive a far deeper study into their specific field of expertise.

This... cannot be ignored.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

:) It does'nt matter what u take as long as u have fun and have a good master :karate: A good master in any style will trach u to defend yourself properly.

Donkey

Side with Sevenstar here. Some systems are inherently flawed and no amount of effort by a master will provide sufficient defense. As well, determining just what the hell is a master... that's been a toughy for many beginners. Someone calling themselves a master, students calling them a master, having lots of neat little plaques on their wall, or a hundred fancy belts adorning their waist, doesn't make a master.

Knowledge, ability and attitude...

Additionally, being a master doesn't guarantee they can relay their knowledge, ability and attitude to others. This requires the ability to instruct. A set of skills in and of themselves.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro