• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kung Fu (Wing Chun) or Kickboxing?

Kung Fu (Wing Chun) or Kickboxing?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Kung Fu (Wing Chun) or Kickboxing?

• Kung Fu (Wing Chun)
    • Kickboxing

If you want self defence then definatley choose wing chun, if you want sport and fitness choose kickboxing. Wing chun is geared more towards short, powerful punches and relatively low kicks, it also utilizes pressure points.

sigh... most pressure points are a nuissance at best, and you will fight through the discomfort in an adrenaline situation. Also, how long will you have to train before you can hit those points with precision in a real fight, against a resisting opponent? As a thai boxer, I kick, punch, elbow, knee...why would you think it would be any less effective for self defense? Actually, it has everything you mentioned abouve, including pressure points. it's more of organ striking, not hitting small points. strikes to the liver, kidney, bladder, etc. and the sciatic nerve.

Just so you know, Wing Chun was the art that Bruce Lee mastered before he went on to create his own art, Jeet Kun do.

I doubt he mastered it... he only trained it for 5 years. He trained WC from age 13 to age 18, which is when he came to the states.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it, buddy

Wing Chun is not an effective martial art

It lacks mobility

I know, I've trained it

By the way, this person is iggnorent, and as u can see he's recieved abit of abuse, for good reasons. Wing Chun is renouned as an effective and technical martial art. Kickboxing/boxing wont get u anywhere for self defence, cuz there sports and all the techniques are based around rules and the condentdors wearing large gloves. They do however give u a good workout, especially boxing.

and you called his post ignorant? Pot, I'd like to introduce you to my friend kettle...

Guys, guys plz calm down, ok maybe saying it wont get u anywhere is a slight exaggeration, i was just abit pead off after reading the post that wing chun isnt good 4 self defence. However I dont think that boxing is gr8 for learning self defence techniques, the reason that ppl can win in fights when they have studied boxing is because they have gained strength and fitness while training for it and their punches pack an iron blow.

kickboxing is similar but I admit there are some elements that help u 4 self defence. At the end of the day, they are not martial arts (there not, plz dont say they are) they are sports and based majorly around rules and restrictions.

Pot, I'd like to introduce you to my friend kettle...

????

Edited by Rich_2k3

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I am not really going to get into it, but please go toe to toe with a good boxer. You might feel a bit differently afterwards. It might be a sport, but the technique and application is pretty much the same in a self-defense situation.

SiK---Joshua

There are no limits.

If I was in your shoes, and I had a kickboxing gym nearby - I'd go for it with both barrels.

Of course, that's just me. I'm a highly competitive whippersnapper who dislikes being in a small town. Your situation may be different.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

the reason that ppl can win in fights when they have studied boxing is because they have gained strength and fitness while training for it and their punches pack an iron blow.

Who cares? If I can knock you out with a left hook, or throw you to the ground with harai goshi, or send you to the ground with "monkey steals peach", A win is a win. you survived. doesn't matter how. boxing is fine for self defense.

kickboxing is similar but I admit there are some elements that help u 4 self defence. At the end of the day, they are not martial arts (there not, plz dont say they are) they are sports and based majorly around rules and restrictions.

1. please tell me why you don't consider it a martial art.

2. wing chun doesn't have rules in the kwoon? When was the last time you eye gouged someone full power in the kwoon? When was the last time you kicked someone in the groin full power? Have you ever used a phoenix eye to a vulnerable cavity and knocked anyone out while sparring? Habe you hit anyone full power in the throat? If not, why? since you have no rules, you should be doing it all the time, right?

there's an old saying - "isn't that the post calling the kettle black?" Basically, it's saying "how can you say I'm wrong when you are wrong yourself?" (the pot and the kettle are both black, and you two were both wrong)

????

Then your wrong too! firstly street fights have no rules, because thats what self defence is about, didnt you know?

Secondly boxing isn't a martial, and its never been recognised as a martial art. Thats not putting boxing down, its stating fact. Just cuz its not a martial art doesnt mean thats a bad thing. Boxing is a sport and I cant be bothered to go into a huge long-winded argument about it with u, look it up 4 christ sake.

Who cares? If I can knock you out with a left hook, or throw you to the ground with harai goshi, or send you to the ground with "monkey steals peach", A win is a win. you survived. doesn't matter how. boxing is fine for self defense.

Yes, that is what I said... are u lookin 4 an argument are somthing? I simply stated that boxing is good for self defence in a different way....so what. I never said that was a bad thing.

Sevenstar you have obviously got the wrong end of the stick on this. U dont seem to understand that I have nothing agaisnt boxing. Wing chun and boxing are both very good in their own way. Wing Chun is a martial art, and is most commonly associated with self defence, when defending ur self there are no rules and yes you can kick to groin, gouge at eyes etc, etc. Obviously when ur training there are rules but then there has to be.

Boxing is not a martial art, its not, and never has been recognised as one, just because your fighting someone does not make it a martial art. Many ppl think it is, in some ways it cud be thought as one, but technically and officially its not. Now plz lets drop this and stick to the subject.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

(fixed some coding)

just a little point about the term 'martial art'.

a lot of people harp on about 'martial'=for the purpose of war.

if this is the case then wing chun, hung gar, choy li fut, tai chi and many more are not martial because their inception was not for war; they were and are for fighting (either focussing on attack or defence).

you used to find practioners of these art in the chinese government because

i) they were usually rich people and could afford to learn (as well as having too much time on their filthy hands)

ii) to be in a position of government, you had to take 'exams' which included fighting as well as other aspects (also a reason for their learning).

what was taught to the armies was a totally different beast concerntrating on armed combat (doa, spear, archery etc) and if taught hand to hand, it was usually a shoalin derivitive if not shaolin long fist itself.

the chinese name for the martial arts ('wushu') does not literally mean war art.

it is more like 'art of fighting'.

it just so happens that the 'wu' is also the one used to describe someaspects of war but not war itself.

in short, what i am saying is that in chinese it IS NOT 'martial art'.

they are fighting arts.

hence, boxing is the same as wing chun, which is the same as tai chi which, is the same as hung gar.

and yes, the only time i have ever used an emergency technique was when we were in full kit, or purely by accident (i.e forced into it...)

Edited by Drunken Monkey

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Rich_2k3:

Back in the 1800's and such boxing was most definately taught as a martial art...though mainly to the gentleman class. Hell, you were not a gentleman if you did not learn the fisticuffs. So yes, there was a time that boxing was taught and used for self-defense.

Please check out this page and read some of the fight manuals from the 1800's. Very good reading. https://www.ahfaa.org

SiK---Joshua

There are no limits.

Then your wrong too! firstly street fights have no rules, because thats what self defence is about, didnt you know?

but at the same time, you are training with rules, so you are no better off than the boxer...

Secondly boxing isn't a martial, and its never been recognised as a martial art. Thats not putting boxing down, its stating fact. Just cuz its not a martial art doesnt mean thats a bad thing. Boxing is a sport and I cant be bothered to go into a huge long-winded argument about it with u, look it up 4 christ sake.

I'm asking for YOUR specific response. I've participated in the other threads, so I know there are some here.

Sevenstar you have obviously got the wrong end of the stick on this. U dont seem to understand that I have nothing agaisnt boxing.

I didn't imply that you did.

Wing chun and boxing are both very good in their own way. Wing Chun is a martial art, and is most commonly associated with self defence, when defending ur self there are no rules and yes you can kick to groin, gouge at eyes etc, etc. Obviously when ur training there are rules but then there has to be.

yeah... training with rules. As I said above, you are no better off than the boxer.

Boxing is not a martial art, its not, and never has been recognised as one, just because your fighting someone does not make it a martial art. Many ppl think it is, in some ways it cud be thought as one, but technically and officially its not. Now plz lets drop this and stick to the subject.

This is part of the discussion. the thread is a comparison between wing chun and boxing. part of your comparison is that boxing isn't a martial art. I will argue that it is. Therefore, this is relevant to the topic.

Now, let me consult my friend webster for a second...

Main Entry: mar·tial

Pronunciation: 'mär-sh&l

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin martialis of Mars, from Mart-, Mars

1 : of, relating to, or suited for war or a warrior

2 : relating to an army or to military life

3 : experienced in or inclined to war : WARLIKE

- mar·tial·ly /-sh&-lE/ adverb

and also this:

One entry found for martial art.

Main Entry: martial art

Function: noun

: any of several arts of combat and self-defense (as karate and judo) that are widely practiced as sport