• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kicking with the ball of your foot or the instep?

Shotokan_Fighter

Use the weapon that fits the target and gives the desired effect. Know the strengths and limmitations of each and pick the one that works.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I know Im going to be able to land a good round kick to someones ribs then I will use the ball of the foot becaue its going to drive deeper. However I hardly throw my roundhouse that high. I use it for low kicks as I said above. I am constantly kicking the floor as I walk arround the dojo with the ball of my foot. However the front snap is prob. my most used kick.

Again both are good each has a purpose and a place it may work better. I just find the shin/instep more useful for myself.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I train with the ball of the foot, shin, and top of the foot/instep.

I think the latter two are the best methods because you have a lot of leeway in terms of range. If the opponent is a little close, no big deal, you hit them with your shin. Likewise, if they retreat a little, or you start the kick further away, you hit them with the top of your foot/instep. Either way they are in pain. I have broken the skin on someone's leg with an instep kick to the shin because of my shoelaces. So that's another thing to keep in mind when you are wearing shoes.

The ball of the foot, in my opinion, should thrust in on a 45 degree angle, kind of like a sideways front kick than striking the opponent from the side like most roundhouses. Otherwise the toes get in the way.

It's good for driving into the body.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

We use the instep/shin in our style.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

It depends on one's target, doesn't it? Stomach/chest blows would require toes pulled back/ball of the foot, groin strikes with toes straight, leg/torso attacks with top of foot/shin, IMHO. In Goju Ryu, we don't go for high kicks much, mostly inside style fighting, and one of the more devastating kicks I use (and have been the recipient of :bawling: ) is a low roundhouse to the quads, or inside thigh vital points.

iv never been kicked, or kicked with a shin/instep round kick, but id still much rather kick with the ball of my foot. Trust me the ball of your foot is more effective, its smaller and harder.

You're simply WRONG. The shin feels like getting hit with a thin, metal pole. Trust me, PLEASE, the ball of the foot is not as effective as the shin. Considering you've never been kicked, how can you refute this?

mikes wrote

You're simply WRONG. The shin feels like getting hit with a thin, metal pole. Trust me, PLEASE, the ball of the foot is not as effective as the shin. Considering you've never been kicked, how can you refute this

how can i refute to this? i have kicked with it and i dont think iv really ever been kicked with the shin, but i have been kick with the ball of the foot, to me i think it is more effective its small are harder. the shin is big and hit more area of the body, the ball of the foot consintrates on one part of the body, which would make it more devastating.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

lets face it they are both very effective but id prefer to kick with the ball of my foot. that is my opinion

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate