• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kicking with the ball of your foot or the instep?

Shotokan_Fighter

what do you guys prefer to kick with? Me id much rather kick with my ball of my foot, on a round kick, your ball of your foot is much more effective, in shotokan we train to hit with the ball of our foot, and in a street fight we have shoes on so we cant, then we use the tips of our shoes. Thats what our sensie said to use in a fight. Edited by Shotokan_Fighter

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kicking with the shin/instep is more effective.

thats my prefered way.

if you got kicked by a Muay thai stlye roundkick with the shin you might rethink your opinion on whitch is more effective.

iv never been kicked, or kicked with a shin/instep round kick, but id still much rather kick with the ball of my foot. Trust me the ball of your foot is more effective, its smaller and harder.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

iv never been kicked, or kicked with a shin/instep round kick, but id still much rather kick with the ball of my foot. Trust me the ball of your foot is more effective, its smaller and harder.

then why does every top kickboxer in the world kick with their shin?

I explain the ball of the foot idea on the round kick. Howver I was taught and I teach to use the instep or shin. Its a bigger target for you to hit with and you don't have to worry about if you have shoes on or not. Its good to know both because the ball of the foot really hurts but for kicking in general espically low kicks the shin will do much more damage IMO.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

i know that the shin and instep have better reach and can hit better but if you hit somone with a round kick with the ball of the foot that is a effective weapon, but im just trained different then all of you id much rather kick with the ball of my foot, but for sparring i do hit with my instep, that depends on who i am sparring with.

Shotokan_fighters creed