• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sweeping

Shotokan_Fighter

what kinds of sweeps do you know, guys from shotokan i was wondering about the ankle sweep from fighting position. how often do you learn sweeping techniques in class, do you do it while sparring? If you sweep someone are you able to follow up with a reverse punch in time before, or after the first bounce? and do you use the sweeps to completly knock them to the ground, or just take them off balance enouph to finish them with a reverse punch?

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
One thing is to make sure they know how to fall when you sweep them in the Dojo........and follow up the sweep with some hand work or kicks....Good Luck.....sweep are Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Practice is the best of all instructors...

Agreed that you need to learn to fall before you let you class go wild with sweeps.

I teach them and use them a lot. We work most sweeps of a cressant or outside cressant motion. Our target is the ankle. I also teach the low roundhouse (MT) which lots of times has the same result as a good sweep. We do, do the spinning sweep some from a hook kick motion but its pretty dangerous for both involved only our upper ranks do it.

As far as counters Yes. However we do teach the guard and mount as well so we do go the ground and lots of times a person who has been swept will be able to pull the other person down with them if the counter is not very quick.

I myself and a huge fan of sweeps and other trips/takedowns.

The wave kick in Tekki Shodan is a good sweep as the the circle motion at the end of Bassai Sho. Any turn such as the mid line turns in Heian Shodan can be views as a spinning sweep. Most kata's will have move that can be taught as a sweep if you look hard enough to find it.

Hope that helped.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Interestingly enough, we never learned to fall when I started trainiing under shudokan. One of the first things we learned were 5 different sweeping techniques. 3 were actually sweeps, and 2 were defense after you have been sweeped by them. Most were just ankle trips from kumite position as mentioned, but there are some more advanced ones I have learned since. Ive just had to wait a while.

Sweeps can indeed be used in Kumite, if the opportunity is open, I will almost always take it, usually jsut enough to knock the opponent off balance and finish with a reverse punch or two. Full on sweeps arent the wisest choice in standard kumite unless both you are your opponent are aware of exactly what you are doing. If you were to do it wrong it would be a good way to get injuries going. In tournaments, generally you are allowed to sweep, the most common method is an ankle trip/reverse punch follow. If you are good enough, you get to the point where you go double leg, and follow immediately with a finishing punch from above. If you dont get that punch in quick though they wont count, and always ask whoever the authority is if it is OK to sweep.

Patience is a grand- either you can learn it or I can make you learn it.

would anyone of you use sweeping in a street fight? i would i would just sweep them enouph to knock them off balance and then shift in with a reverse punch, and while they bend over (if they bend over, they might go straight the the ground) ill knee them in the face if i have to.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

:o A sweep works best in the street. :o Followed up with a solid ground and pound. I'm happy to hear you are thinking about the self defence apps a lot of karateka only see the sport side of karate. When it comes down to it ALL I WANT IS TO GET THE GUY IN THE SKY THEN ON HIS BACK. At my shodan grading I bombed everyone...all the black belts. I was bombed once but rolled to an ankle lock as soon as I hit the floor. Sweeps work all the time, even when your tired.

How many here are taught to sweep on a consistent basis?

I would sweep before I did about anything I think. Its just not something people look for.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Its just not something people look for

i agree

Shotokan_fighters creed