telsun

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there. I know I'm getting to this discussion late, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. First off, I'm not a Christian, but used to be. Second, I have a problem with this statement:

"A few of my close christian friends were interested in taking up martial arts, and asked their parents. Their parents said that they didn't want them involved as martial arts had close links with demons and the occult. :o

I think they were getting karate confused with witchcraft. :lol:"

Now, I don't want to start a fight, but witchcraft IS a real religion, and its followers don't worship Satan or summon demons. The modern movement is officially known as neopaganism, but some people prefer the term witchcraft. Here's a great site on it if you want to learn more: https://www.witchvox.org.

Respect to all around here. I'm not going to criticize anyone else's religion, so please don't criticize mine. Thanks. :)

Usagi

witchcraft IS a real religion

No one said it wasn't. He said some people will confuse Karate with Witchcraft, not that isn't a Religion. I don't see why you would have a problem with it. He never what is was to begin with, he only said what a small group of people he doesn't even agree with think Karate is related to Witchcraft. No one is criticizing your religion. Stop looking for injustice where there is none.

The quote strongly implied that witchcraft has "close links with demons and the occult," I believe that's what Usagi took issue with. Any pagan can tell you there is PLENTY of underlying injustice in this common misconception.

"A few of my close christian friends were interested in taking up martial arts, and asked their parents. Their parents said that they didn't want them involved as martial arts had close links with demons and the occult. :o

I think they were getting karate confused with witchcraft. :lol:"

Now, I don't want to start a fight, but witchcraft IS a real religion, and its followers don't worship Satan or summon demons. The modern movement is officially known as neopaganism, but some people prefer the term witchcraft. Here's a great site on it if you want to learn more: https://www.witchvox.org.

Usagi

I am aware of that, and was actually thinking that somebody would pick up on that statement sooner or later. I wasn't referring to "white witchcraft", "wiccan" or "neopaganism", though, I was referring to witchcraft as a broad, widely accepted term associated with the occult.

I was going to have used the term Satanism, but Satanists have no link with the occult as such either. Their beliefs are that you can live your life however you like, as long as you're not hurting or getting in the way of anyone else.

No matter what term I would have used someone would have got mad at it, so I settled on witchcraft. If I'd been referring to "modern witchcraft", I would have used the terms of wiccan or neopaganism, not witchcraft.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

UsagiYojimbo noone intended to offend anyone. Although I am sure that we all respect your believe and offer our apologies for any offence caused.

I am interested as to why you left Christianity for "Witchcraft" (correct term?). If you do not wish to elaborate on the forum then feel free to pm me. However I am sure that it would be of interest to all of us and noone will ridicule you for which path you choose to follow in life.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

I'm a christian too....

I think that SOME martial arts schools have too much emphasis on eastern spirituality that is incompatible with the christian faith.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Yes, Telsun, that is correct. There will be no personal ridicule allowed anywhere in the forums (unless it's by me, heh heh).

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

no im not christian

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Everyone here seems pretty cool and I really didn't want to ruffle any feathers, honest.

In reality, I didn't leave Christianity for Paganism. When I was about 14 to 15, I found my ideas about the world were changing, and Christianity was leaving a lot of stuff unanswered. It was later that I began to do some searching and found that neopaganism matched more closely with my beliefs. Still have Christian friends and family, no problems with them. :)