• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Titus, that would take ages. What are you looking for in a Martial Art? Do you want to learn throwing? Ground work? Jump kicks? Punches? Pressure points? Tournament grappling? Tournament Striking? Self- Defence? Sword work? Staff work? Joint locking? Different Martial Arts have different things.

What drew you to martial arts in the first place?

I could look up schools in your area for you, if you like? What town do you live in? We can go from there. I'll find ones with websites, and explain them later. But it's best for you to look in the phone book and give us a list of styles you have in your area.

Laurie F

See what styles are taught then look at price vs number of classes a week. Then talk to people in the class and see what works for you.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

What do you like striking or grappling ? Do you want a philisophical and traditional art the involes as much mind as it does body? Do you want something that you can lean fast and hit hard ? Would you rather use your feet or your hands ? There are many questions that you need to ask yourself first.

When I started I just went to my closest club and done it. I was fortunate in the fact that the club turned out to be very professional and not a Mcdojo (I love that terminology :) )

Try the clubs in your local area. If there are lots then try them all. It's not going to be much good to you if you decide you want to do Coparia (how do you spell that?) but there is not a club within 100 miles :wink:

You can look into an art as much as you like but until you experiance it you can't tell for sure.

It's a bit like buying a car. You can read about them all you like. People can suggest which one to buy, etc. But until you have driven them you don't really know. And when you find *that* car you just know that that is the car for you. Not by reading about it but by experiancing it.

Perhaps a good question to ask would be: How can I tell a good dojo/instructor?

Tell you what I'll do it for you. It'll be interesting to see what everyone thinks anyway.

Of course this is just my humble opinion. Follow the course you belive to be right.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"