• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

angles

fireka

moving at angles to avoid being hit and to put yourself at a great position for an attack, as well as putting your opponet in terrible positions for deffense, is something that sensai has stressed alot lately. These things are freakin hard! My favorite one though, is were he step in at an angle (it works best if there is a hand that leading a little to far out on the opponet) grab that hand and move it out of the way, at the same time turning with a spining back kick dead center on the solar plexus. its very effective and looks very hollywood. i like it alot. im starting to get somewhat effective with it, as sensai told us to pick on we liked for now, practice it, and use it in kumite. the shodans seem to lead out plenty so im getting lots of oppritunity but other things with angles are giving me trouble. like when someone side kicks, the idea of being able to kind bounce to there side and double strike seems forigen to my body. if i attempt it at all i usally end up actually throughing myself into the technique, but usally i dont even try, i swith my deffense by moving back with the circular hand motion and combing that with an appropriat eblock. this works fine, if im not against a wall and the block was timed right! i really want to learn this angle! any tips?

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Shifting is what will seperate good students of karate from bad ones. Its one thing to shift and find the open spot when your told to in class but its another finding it for yourself when sparring.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

oh great now i feel like i really suck at this. i know shifting is important but why am i always throwing myself into a technique instead of just beside it?

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Well it could be

1. The person you are working with is redirecting his punch or kick.

2. It could be your to slow.

3. Could be your waiting on the count instead of his fist move.

4. Yes it could be you just need more reps doing it.

Shifiting is very had to get right. In and out, left and right, in and right out and left, blah blah blah blah. It just takes time...

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

angles are very important...fighting someone who is good at working angles is a diffrent ball game...this is also one of the first things i worked on in fight class.

Has your sensei done the back to the wall drill?

Face your opponent with the wall right behind you so you cannot move backwards. When he attacks you will have to intercept or move to the side. It does take alot of practice sidestepping. I cannot sidestep everyone. However..........

During lasts year's association championship I had to fight this real big guy. He is very well respected within our association and I was relatively new to it. Anyway this guy attacks 100%, you know real hard. Before our fight he had some near disqualification strikes. I found that although I was unaware of my sidestepping ability it just came together with this guy. If you moved back he would just keep on coming. I surprised even myself and sensei said that I made it look easy. Which is a comment that will remain with me.

Keep practicing and you'll get it too. Remember karate kid? (What do you mean never seen it!) When Daniel is doing all Mr Miyagi's chores. When tested he found that all his chores had developed his blocking skills with out him even being aware of the fact.

It's not quite that easy but one day it will all click together. Keep practicing :karate:

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Move and hit the arm. Move yourself offline. If you are going to move back, move back on a 45 degree angle. You can move a little or alot, whatever fits the situation. Remember when you move back too far you have to restart everything. I prefer moving to the outside of the attack on a 45 degree angle towards the person, and use hidden strikes. Hidden strikes come from places that are outside the person range of vision. Like underneath to the chin or to the blindspots on both sides of the head. I hope this makes sense.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Timing is everything. If you move too soon your opponent will follow you wih his technique and will most likely get you. Try waiting on the attack and not telegraph your intentions. It takes a lot of practice to get good at it but its worth it. :)

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Your absolutely right Shotochem, timing is everything. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"