• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Drives a Martial Artist?

I understand what you're saying and its a great thread. although I do like interaction among people who share the same interests, and come to learn the same thing I'm learning. I honestly prefer training by myself over training with others. It takes my concentration off of others and allows me to not care for anything but my training. no one slowing me down, no one holding me back. Does anyone else feel this way?

----------------

Take Care, Everyone.

- Akemoshi

----------------

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a great article, very informative but there is one simple reason why we do what we do:

We want to find our equal, our adversary who can fight with us on our level a challeneged is what we really want, a challenged

I am here to get stronger in physical, mental and ki strength.

Great article. Very entertaining and made me think about my reasons. I believe I also wanted the challenge. I have never done anything important with my life. I feel like gong fu fills a part of me I never used.

36 styles of danger

Good article, but I can't say I agree. I don't go there for social time. That's what high school is for. I know when I originally started it was because Dad had been high ranking in TKD, a brown belt. I always wanted to copy and do just like him. I'm a daddy's girl, you see. Then, when we quit, I wanted to get back...some day...I'm also a procrastinator. But get back I did, almost one year ago. 7 days off one year exact. When I joined this time, it was because I held my fascination with it all, and my friend helped me find it again. This friend I usually call green belt boy on this forum, as he hasn't registered...but I don't go there for anyone, not anymore. I go there for me. I go there because I want to learn, I want to be better, I want to be a true warrior, and not just some kid who can kick and punch. Sad as this sounds, I want to be like the samurai. All of this...it really is a way of life, and I can't imagine living without it again.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

• 1 year later...
Am so agree with the fees on martial arts I use my pocket money to go lessons and safe some to buy stuff really.

I get £12 - £15 on my pocket money £6 goes to lesson, and on saturday my mom pays for it.

But my dream is to become an Instrutor and go back to my country and starts my own style when am around 4th dan 5th dan.

So agree with the money thing, too! My dojo runs from 100 U.S.D. to 400! That's insane!

I also want to start me own styles after i earn my blackbelt.

Hyphy style - a martial art mixed with movements from Hyphy dance. Ala Capoeria (sp). Watch the "tell me when to go" music video to get an idea of the dance. Then, imagine a person fighting using those movements.

Puma Style - An animal style i'm going to have to do some research on. Basically, it's like leopard style with with a lot more body lifting and kicking.

Destined To Bring Light

• 3 weeks later...

Nice article. I like the reasons that you list, and even appreciate the order that they are listed in. If it were me, I would rearrange the order some, but to each his own. And that is exactly what we all get out of our training; our own art! :karate:

Wow! Z that was an excellent post. There are probably a lot more reasons why people take up the MA. I would like to know what peoples opinion is about regulating what we do. I am thinking about posting this as a topic but I just wanted some opinions before I do. Right now anybody can put up a sign saying 'Joe Smith Karate' 10th degree black belt. There is no organization that requires anyone to prove it. There are so many great legitimate martial artists out there. There are also phonies who rip people off. What can be done and how?

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

Wow! Z that was an excellent post. There are probably a lot more reasons why people take up the MA. I would like to know what peoples opinion is about regulating what we do. I am thinking about posting this as a topic but I just wanted some opinions before I do. Right now anybody can put up a sign saying 'Joe Smith Karate' 10th degree black belt. There is no organization that requires anyone to prove it. There are so many great legitimate martial artists out there. There are also phonies who rip people off. What can be done and how?

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

If you check out the AAU website, you may get some ideas. For TKD, they have some time in rank requirements, and other such requirements for each of their black belt ranks. AAU also has a karate program. It may be a place to start. :)

Hey Bushido,

The AAU is great. I've been a member for about 30 yrs. now. They don't check your credentials. I'm talking about something like the Boxing Commision. A regulatory body that makes sure people are legit.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

Hey Bushido,

The AAU is great. I've been a member for about 30 yrs. now. They don't check your credentials. I'm talking about something like the Boxing Commision. A regulatory body that makes sure people are legit.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

Don't you have to test in, or something like that? I remember seeing writing requirements for certain ranks, etc., as well.