• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Drives a Martial Artist?

Thank you for posting your article, I always enjoy someones opinion other than my own,( but not always). When I first got envolved with MA's , Bruce Lee was my first motivater. When I inrolled in my first school I wanted to become a teacher and didn't give any thoughts about socializing. Now a-days I train alone because it's very personal to me, a relashionship that I try to nourish through self-disciplined training. At this stage in my life the only people I would care to share this with would be other martial artist with the same seriousness.

Good article, thanks again!

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are just a big bundle of insecurities and MA helps relieve us of some of those, especially at the start. Then there's my theory that humans, especially men, but women too, have evolved to fight. We're the toughest meanest species on the planet after all. Living in communities has put a lid on that but the internal pressure's still there. The Martial arts let us exercise those primal urges in a socially acceptable way. I think a lot of the other reasons, self defence, fitness, confidence are symptoms of that, not the real reason we do it.

We're the toughest meanest species on the planet after all.

Whoa! Let's not get carried away here. Take away our technology and opposable thumb, and we're actually some of the wimpiest pack animals around.

Evolution gave us a bipedal stance so that we can see farther down the horizon, and above tall grasses. This is a defensive characteristic, not an offensive one.

Evolution gave us the ability to climb. Again, another defensive characteristic.

I could go on, but you get my point. ;)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

We're the toughest meanest species on the planet after all.

I think I'd rather face an angry human than an angry bear or lion, though...

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Maybe I expressed it wrongly, as a species we are the most successful killers on the planet. The brain, opposable thumb, the weapons, the ability to store knowledge externally and add to it, are all part of the deal, as much a part of our evolution as a lion's claws. From where I sit the bears and the lions aren't doing all that well, unfortunately.

Interesting theory, not sure if I completely agree. I agree with whoever it was before (too lazy to go back and look, sorry!) that pointed out there are many other ways to achieve social interaction outside the martial arts. I think there must something more to the martial arts that makes people choose them specifically.

I have numerous reasons for studying karate, and social interaction isn't really one of them. I think one of my biggest reasons is that I just find it so neat to learn an art form that's been passed down for many generations. I think the martial arts are beautiful and I want to do my part to help perpetuate them. ^_^

Of course, I also really need the exercise, plus I've seen so many martial art moves in the movies or on TV that just look SO DANG COOL I HAVE TO LEARN THEM!!! :lol:

~Erin

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

What I have noticed is that my reason to train has completely changed

Now, that I've started to attract girls, I'm just looking for a girl who's interested in more than my skill or my build

Now, my reason to train is for me to be able to fight in a professional organization

Whether it be K-1, UFC, PRIDE, or Shooto

I want to be well known for what I do :karate:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/soulfighting/SOUL%20SONIC%20STYLE/New_Back.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/soulfighting/SOUL%20SONIC%20STYLE/New_Abs.jpg

THE MASTER OF THE WORLD'S FINEST!!

SOUL SONIC STYLE!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...