What have you become?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a more positive outlook on negative events in my life.

I can better control my sometimes out-of-control temper.

I am less quick to judge others.

I have more self-confidence and self-control.

I better appreciate the little things in life.

There are a ton more thing I can think of but these are the first that came to mind.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I used to be this shy kid with a bad temper and no self esteem. I still have a bad temper but I can control it now. I have more confidence, and I'm outgoing. Sometimes, too much, I think. Sometimes I say stuff I don't mean. I guess that's something else I need to work on.

Laurie F

Helped in your job KSN Doug :-?

Fancy answering this thread and elaborating a little?

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8847

Done.

As far as elaborating; MAs has given me the confidence to take chances and try new things (as detailed in the other thread). It has also given me the drive to always want to be challenged, no matter what the situation or outcome.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

through serious study of the martial arts, both physically, mentally, and spiritualy, i have effected my life profoundly by learning how to kick the butts of everyone who just posted on this thread before me... :lol: im sorry, i just had to!

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

As a kid I was not too aggressive, tended to disappear into the crowd.

In the 1970's I was in high school and I got into football and wrestling and started taking Ed Parker Kenpo...which addressed some of my shyness issues, not others. Learned a lot, but still felt there was a lot missing.

In the early 90's I started studying Black Tiger and was trying to find information on anything Tigerish, techniques, forms, systems...just fell in love with Tiger animal styles. Accessed my aggressiveness in TOO big a way, started to love getting into fights...if someone was an a-hole, I figured I was Batman and it was my job to shut them up.

Got a wake-up call when I was driving cab at night to make extra money, and I had a verbally abusive customer who threw money in my face. I got out of the cab and basically insulted him and his family and instigated him into fighting. Then put him into the hospital. Then I got charged with felony assault.

I've toned down a lot since then, it was a very expensive lesson. I still love Tiger, still practice Kenpo, but I also notice that I don't have that "drive" I used to, an almost addicitive "high" when I was really Tiger obsessive, hard to describe, kind of a drug free "roid rage" because so many training techniques to access aggressiveness I got addicted to at the time...probably because I went so much the other way when I was younger.

I guess now I'm looking for balance without sacrificing forward momentum/progress...41 years old and still learning.

well hey, welcome to the wonderful world of the martial arts, and welcome to the forums! :wave:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai