• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first karate lesson

aznkarateboi

i decided to take up kyokushin karate. Today was my first lesson. For warm ups, we ran some laps, stretched, and did pushups and weight exercises. Then we did 2 minute rounds punching this guy with a chest pad on who was screaming constantly. We used pads to practice punches, kneeing, and kicking. I noticed that Kyokushin emphasizes kicking with the shins rather than the instep. Also, there were no katas, but I love the class so far.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sounds fun

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Hi

If you r looking for a sparring class its not bad, but in my personal opinion a Karate without Kata is not a real Karate (i say in my opinion).

How ever, good luck & go for your goals

Ilich Miguel Torres Fong

2nd Dan Shito kai

Central America & Caribbean Confederation of Karate Kumite Judge

Monterrey, México 8)

Im open to learn & talk about any MA or Style (all are great)

Yes you will get a heavy emphasis on kumite, but kata will certainly come into play. Although the first four kata aren't really that interesting they are important for developing muscles and working basic stances. It's not until Pinan Sono Ni that the kata becomes more complex. The first four pretty much have the same "I" or "H" (however you look at it) formation. Hmm, the kick thing is strange. I was always taught to use my instep for the roundhouse kick. So that must just be your instructor. Although I don't know what kicks your talking about either. Well good luck on your training! Hope you continue to enjoy if for years to come :karate:

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

thats cool man stay with it , id like to try it out so i can have a backround of shotokan and kyokushin karate, to me they are the 2 best styles of karate

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

the two best? come now fighter, im sure isshinryu has a decent spot on your charts. :)

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty