• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan or Wado

celtic bhoy

I am thinking of taking up karate. There is 2 clubs in my immediate area, 1 being Shotokan and the other being Wado.

I am more into self defence rather than competition so which would be the best all-round style for me to choose. What do both styles offer, any help will be appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, i love shotokan, but the reason i think its a cool art (though i do not take it) is because its so pro-tournament fighter. if its defense you want, probably better go wado. but to all you shotokan practioners, i repeat what i said in othe rpost, ignore the hype! your style is the bomb, despite rumors of mcdojo crowding.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

I have seen a lot of point style shotokan guys. It's not my thing but we all have a place in the world. I like Wado because it adds jiu jitsu's softer movements with shotokans hard movements. Both are good but Wado has a little more blending of the arts.

You'll probably see more of the Shotokan point competitors in Traditional tournaments as compared to the open tourney circut. However, there are a few that venture into the open tournies as well.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

lol, have any of you seen isshinryu ANYWERE in the open circuit? or will i be the first to compete in major fight?

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

I have trained in both Shotokan and Wado. I really love the Ju jitsu that is incorporated into Wado, so that's what I'm training in Wado now. But Shotokan is also a very effective self defence art IMHO and the Sensei at the Shotokan club was very heavily into self defence and even ran extra self defence lessons.

I do feel that Wado is giving me slightly more in the way of self defence, being that I am a women the Ju Jitsu moves and emphasis on redirecting the opponent's force seem to work better for me against a man than the moves I learnt in Shotokan.. but for you Shotokan might be just as good.

I would say go and check out both the clubs before you decide. They should both offer the first class free as most clubs do. See which style suits you best.

Also, it's not always the style, but the ability of the sensei, atmosphere of the club and equipment available that you should consider.

Hope you post your decision later! :)

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

Hi

I think your choice must to be in relation with tour personality.

Shoto Kan is a little more (how i can say it)... tense, hard, intense, looks very powerful.

Wado ryu looks very relax, but is ot weak.

How ever , if you feel one style is for you, then take it & the other people say doesn´t matter.

Good luck

Ilich Miguel Torres Fong

2nd Dan Shito Kai

Central America & Caribbean Confederation of Karate Kumite Judge

Monterrey, México

Im open to learn & talk about any MA or Style (all are great)