• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Sparring Mix

Kyokushin

I've recently started attending a sparring class. Well it's not really a class more a group of students who want to spar more. So it's a great time to start implementing new techniques and tactics etc. I've found I'm more of a punching person, but use some kicks. Almost always strike chudan (middle level). Any good techniques you know to use on big people, small people, strong people, whatever. Just specify. Looking for new things to try with my sparring so that I've got a wider range of techniques. Also if anyone knows some good footwork moves. Just specify what your evading (punch, kick, elbow) and if it's easy to counterstrike from there and all. Oh, I'm 5'3'' and not overweight or anything. Just so ya know what big would be to me. :wink:

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, if you know you are sparring the same opponent for a long time (several minutes), try the rule of three:

1. Attack with something and let him counter.

2. After some time doing other stuff, attack with #1 again and let him counter.

3. Start with what you did in #1 but only as a fake, when he starts his counter, you hit him.

This "rule of three" was written by Bruce Lee though it is known by many people, just not written as such.

You’re taller Keep a far distance from your partner and jam them with push kick and back kick.

You’re shorter Get in close enough that you’re too far in range for your partner to kick. Get in, stay in, and rack up the points.

You’re heavier You’ve got a power advantage, so use it wisely. Think “tank”.

You’re lighter You’ve got a speed advantage, so use it wisely. Think “butterfly”.

You’re faster Get in range, throw a few techniques, and get out .

You’re slower Don’t get fancy — stay simple. Make your partner come to you instead of chasing after him or her.

Please anyone else who wants to post ignore the one by zopiryon. It has nothing to do with what I asked about. Thanks :)

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---