• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dan grading

telsun

What did you have to do for your last dan grade?

Just a brief outline will be fine I do not desire a long list of every technique you performed!!

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Basics with combos

Kata and others of my Sensei choice

Sparring and SD

Ability to teach and demo moves

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

2 hours in horse stance :o I bow to you sir!!

I feel that I need to elaborate on my original question. I believe that grades are being handed out nowadays. Albeit a few people failed their grades when I took mine it still seems too easy. Please answer these questions:

1. Should your fitness level be part of the grading i.e 10 pushups for 1st belt esculating upto say 100 for BB?

2. Should you be required to take a written test/ submit essay on a martial area of your art?

3. Should you be graded over a matter of days instead of just an hour or so?

4. Should you perform 100 man kumite (as I believe kyokushin does)?

Are gradings too easy nowadays? Please be honest. It is not a reflection on you. I set high standards for myself and gradings are often an anti climax for me as I feel that they are not challenging enough. Your view please.

2 hours in horse stance :o I bow to you sir!!

I feel that I need to elaborate on my original question. I believe that grades are being handed out nowadays. Albeit a few people failed their grades when I took mine it still seems too easy. Please answer these questions:

1. Should your fitness level be part of the grading i.e 10 pushups for 1st belt esculating upto say 100 for BB?

2. Should you be required to take a written test/ submit essay on a martial area of your art?

3. Should you be graded over a matter of days instead of just an hour or so?

4. Should you perform 100 man kumite (as I believe kyokushin does)?

Are gradings too easy nowadays? Please be honest. It is not a reflection on you. I set high standards for myself and gradings are often an anti climax for me as I feel that they are not challenging enough. Your view please.

Each test varies for BB in Kenpo...

I had to do way over 100 pushups, but I have heard of guys in my system that had at least 1000. There is also a good amount of running involved(10-12 miles). So physically it should be test. The big part of it all is to see one at complete exaustion and then see what they can do with nothing left...breaking the spirit

A writen test is required in my system. But it is a week before the test.

The test usually runs 6-8 hours. Not counting running...

The Kumite varies as well. It is usually full contact sparring against 3-5 BB that are chosen.

Hi telsun it is wilko9999

you want to know how to get power!! into your side and roundhouse kicks:

side kick of back leg:

right get a chair and put it behind you and when kicking hold the chair with front hand when you turn and try to hold you leg up or try to do 20 kicks with out putting your leg down when you can do that do 30 then 40

front leg:

its all the same but hold the chair with the hand at the back

roundhouse kick back leg:

ok if in left stance put the chair to your left and do the same as you did for the side kicks

front leg:

if in left stance put the chair to you right and do the same as you did for the side kicks.

i find holding the leg up is better

L8er :karate:

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

We had a 3 day test that included all curriculm, a written exam, and several hours of conditioning. It was the greatest experience of my life!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

in my style we had to do all of the things required for all the lower belts, plus breaking, but first we did the physical part so that we would be tired and that only the best would make it to the black belt level, we ran 15 miles, had to swim in a river, 1500 sit ups, 500 push ups, 100 finger tip, 200 knuckle and the rest were mixed with clapping and different hand positions, we had 45 min catstances...aaaa great for the calfs, the instructors took boards to break over our muscles when we were flexed and tensed during our drills and motions and such, placed an apple in the bottow of a bucket and filled it with sand, then did a spear hand to rip out the apple, multiple opponent sparring, and our testing would last all day for several days throughout the next couple weeks.....it was intense, several failed, yet we trained hard and worked together to be prepaired for the test, there were always new things that were thrown in too.....horse stance for 2 hours is impressive, i have nerve damage now, so my legs would collapse before i made it that long, we also had to walk on hot coals and glass......many things

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Hello Wilko9999

Well thank you for taking the time to share your exercise with me, although slightly unexpected in this thread :)

I am very familiar with the exercise you mentioned. They will improve power to an extent as you build the appropriate muscle for the kick that you are working. You can also concentrate on your technique because you do not have to worry about balance. They will develop nice looking kicks over power kicks though IMO.

I think that to improve power you need impact training. You see, doing a side kick in the air has slightly deifferent mechanics to kicking a target(?).

Allow me to elaborate on my sidekick whoes. When I kick the bag it does have power. The guy, holding the bag, does take a couple of steps back. However I want to put him through the wall Bruce Lee style 8) My problem is that I still reserve some power in my hips and do not use my supporting leg to full effect in driving the kick from the floor. I am working on it :wink:

I do not work my roundhouse much as it is already way in front of the others power wise. Thanks for the suggestion though it has been excepted with a great deal of gratitude. Thanks again.

Wow some of you must be Supermen/women :o

I am a little torn here. As ideal as some of your tests sound I do not know if it is very.....fitting.

By having to sit a written test do you feel that the uneducated would be at a disadvantage?

In our association we have a rather old lady and a boy with physical disadvantages. They are both dan grades but would never have passed some of the tests mentioned. Should allowances be made for these people?

I consider myself to be fairly proficient M/A'ist but would not be able to complete some of the tasks mentioned. If I am competant and could whip your butt physically and with my knowledge then do you think that I should still pass the grade?

For the instructors on the forum. What do you look for when grading a dan grade?

Ladies & Gentleman I bow to you for your achievements. Thank you for sharing them.