• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A really stupid question... but i need to know...

tenkamusou

Hi, and I must warn you, get prepared for this one...

SO, ehehhehehe i was here thinking to myself that I need a makiwara, or a heavy bag, but there's no way I could get one of those, completely lack of space at my home, if ya guys now wut I mean, I'm like like a man in a box hehehehe

So I questioned myself, and now i ask to you, since i don't have a makiwara or anything, should I put my competition gloves and punch the wall?

I mean, i've punched the walls with my bared nuckles a few days ago, but it just hurted to bad...

I don't know... thanx... i guess that's it

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ow! I forgot...

there i go talking bout Oyama again BUT, I've heard that he used to use trees as makiwara... i could use that, i guess, they are as hard as the walls ehehehehehhehe

thanx...

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

Trees are not as hard as walls. Hit walls without protective gear and you will ruin your joints in the long run. Find some of the softer trees (or ones with thicker "skin") and begin lightly, it is healthier. There are makiwaras sold that can be put straight on the wall. Or get the bean bag that Wing Chun people use, it also hangs on the wall.

there are no stupid questions my freind.. Its not a bad idea to hit the walls, as long as u dont use force. If u use it to further develop ur striking skills ur technique can improve greatly

Read a book!

Wow... i got a few replies heehehehhehee

well, I was thinking on use my karate gloves, I wouldn't hit walls with my bare fists!

I don't know how to say this but, here in Brasil it's not that easy to find a dojo with makiwara, or to buy makiwaras, if it were easy to find i'd have bought them already heheheh that's why i'm tryin to improvise...

Superleeds thanx for the tips and support heheheheh

But here's what i'm thinkin of doing:

I'll put 1 one phonebook ( they're huge here ) on the wall, then i'll put a towel to help absorvin the impact, and another phonebook.

I think that'd be similar than that wall makiwara...

I dunno..

anyway, thanx again for the replies and the support!

Please excuse me from saying so tenkamusou but you appear to be a little mad :brow:

In our dojo we have an old car tyre as a makiwara.

You require an old car tyre. If Brazil is anything like England and I truly hope that it is not for your sake, you'll be able to get a tyre that has been disposed off at the side of the road!! Right now hang your tyre on the wall as though you were looking at the side of the car, so you can see the wall through the hole. Fix a thick piece of ply across the whole, about 18mm thick and about 150mm wide. Do not cover the whole hole overwise it will not flex so much. Now pad the ply with something, old foam will do. This does give, but not a great deal.

I think that the better alternative is to cut the tyre in half and mount it on the wall on its side, with the tread facing you. Wrap some padding round it and that should be ideal. Use the other half of the tyre underneath it and you will have a makiwara for low kicks as well.

Not sure about the T-book idea. You must be careful with your joints when hitting fixed targets.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

I've seen a few car tires as makiwara... in the Kyokushin dojo where i visited they had a few of these...

ahhahahah and here in brasil is not that easy to find car tires...

i'd do that tire od i'd buy a heavy bag... but i live in a small apartment... so that kind make things harder ya know?

but thanx for the tip

tenkamusou I was just thinking some more about your dilemma and I came up with this........... :idea:

Take some plumbers pipe lagging (you know the foam stuff they stick around pipes). Cut them into strips about 18" long. Bundle them altogether and wrap loads and loads of carpet tape (gaffer tape) round it. Secure to lengths of wood behind it that stick out either side so that you can attach it to the wall. And hey presto a wall mounted punch bag for next to nothing. Soft but firm, little risk of injury but a very beneficial training aid.

Might make myself one.............

Edited by telsun

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

ow man... this makiwara sh** is givin me the headaches, maybe i should wait till I move and buy one instead of improvisin...

maybe i should just do knuckles push ups ya know... :cry: :( :bawling:

:karate: