• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Making a Wooden Dummy

Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have made one for my self. I made it out of PVC tubing. I could not tell you the proper way to make one tho. I made this with one arm at shoulder level in the center. I use it for verry basic blocks and wraps. the arm will twist and even pull out with some force.

sorry I cant help you more.. but when you make one, you will enjoy your time on it!

the color of a belt, can be a false sence of accomplishment.

• 1 year later...

my father ane me made one out of a log offcut that was used as stumps for a building near where i used to work.

the arms and base are made out of metal.

worked out well, have put rubber tubing over teh arms for padding and just need to add strike pads to it now.

My Sifu made two for our Wing Chun school - next time I train, I'll ask him if he'll give me the plans he used. One is free-standing and the other is fixed to the wall.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I am constructing a wooden dummy right now and taking digital pictures of it in varying stage of development.

I was lucky enough to spot a fallen sycamore tree during the hurricane season here in florida. I chainsawed it, then dragged it back to my house.

I let it sit on a pair of cinder blocks for about 4 months, hoping it would dry out and not crack too badly.

I went out and bought a right angle grinder from dewalt with a bit from King Arthur Tools called a Lancelot (It looks like a chainsaw on a sanding disc)

Without that tool, this task would be impossible. I should have the trunk pretty well finished today.

I wanted to build my wooden dummy to have a closer attachment to it. This one will be mounted in my backyard.

Scour the internet for plans, and also get a tape measure and measure your sifu's next time you get a chance.

Best of luck to you on the quest.

Good luck with your dummy project Sidia G!

If you can post some construction pics for us to see then that'd be great.

Oh, and welcome to Karate Forums! :)

Good to have you on board.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Im almost done with my wooden dummy. The fabrication of the arms and legs were the only trouble, and that is because A) great lion sorta took my money and went out of business before making my parts, and B) i just needed to borrow a friends lathe to getmy arms turned.

Dont waste money on plans. Everything is on the net, and you will liekly find almost all material local, cheep, unless you are bent on hardwood. Be creative with the leg, btw. "Traditional" jong parts are a bit defunct, and theres no magic or chi flow to a home made laminated leg, a welded steel pipe, or a piece of brazilian coocoobolo. Old school jongs are made out of what technology allowed, and what was widely available. My only suggestion is to stay within the ballpark on the arm/leg hole spaces from each other, but absolutely do adjust for body type if you feel that a 6 foot-four, long reaching american might require a slightly larger dummy than what 5 foot tall chinese guys use.

I plan on making a writeup by end of month, but send me a pm if you have any questions and ill be happy to tell you how to source your gear and make your cuts/holes.

"What do you tell a guy with two black eyes?-nothing. Somebody's already told him. Twice."