• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

mixed ranking?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's a hard one to answer. Different schools have different philosophies and teaching methods.

Generally, what I've seen is that ranks and ages are mixed for exercises, drills, forms, and most class activities. The juniors and kids bennifit from the older and more experienced students being with them. The senior students get some experience teaching, sort of their introduction to instructor skills. But for techniques and advanced forms the classes are broken up so that the advanced students get some quality instruction. That is the key to recognizing a McD'. If you don't get quality instruction that challenges you and pushes toward the next level, you have no reason to be there.

Freedom isn't free!

I think it depends on the way it is done. If everyone from white to black is receiving the same instruction in the same class, thats no good. At my school, we have mixed classes, but it isnt always the same ranks. For instance, on tuesday night, we have two classes (for adults, there are child classes too). One is red and black only, the other is all other ranks. Some classes are all ranks, but every class is geared to cover material that you need to learn or practice, for any rank that will be in the class. Also, you only get better by fighting those that are better than you are. I prefer to fight people who outrank me because I feel I have the most to learn from them. When I fight lower ranks, I dont just pummel them, but instead try to teach them by finding and exploiting their weaknesses. They learn what areas or techniques they should work on. I think it can benifit everyone.

Ryan

TKD/JJJ

If it's a small school, with few (or one) instructors, they're not going to have a choice. Just as long as ther is some separation in the teaching, there doesn't have to be separation of classes.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

My school has ranks, but everyone learns everything with a few exceptions. Once you know how to break fall properly, you're welcome to learn any technique taught in class. The ranks are just further smoothing, perfecting, and learning little tricks to make the techniques smoother, faster, better.

So, really, it's like not having any ranks at all.

I don't think it should be. Now with that said Browns and Blacks need a class of their own that is just for them but you can never get enough base work.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I don't think it should be. Now with that said Browns and Blacks need a class of their own that is just for them but you can never get enough base work.

I agree! Advanced belts should have their own classs time to work on curriculum at their level-otherwise they can become discouraged and bored. However, I think it is good to train with all belt levels part of the time so that you can begin to learn teaching skills and lower ranks have some role models to help them set goals.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

KSN Doug

If it's a small school, with few (or one) instructors, they're not going to have a choice. Just as long as ther is some separation in the teaching, there doesn't have to be separation of classes.

I totally agree, comeing from a smaill dojo.

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation

Ok I have something else to say...does that surprise you!

Small dojang's do have a logistics problem when it comes to classes. One instructor can have difficulty scheduling enough classes to be able to split the belt levels so mixing them is usually the only option. I have been there!

Now I am spoiled!!!! Having had numerous intructors on floor and being able to split by age and belt level for several years, I am re-discovering my "roots" by training at a small school. Which is better? I think it all depends on the instructor :wink: !!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Yeah we only have about 10 students now because its summer and they range from Brown to white. My Browns get a lot out of the class because they feel like they got to set the mark for the young kids add to that like you guys were saying it gives them the chance to teach a little.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."