• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate is not a fighting style or sport

evil_xerox

Hey folks, Ive browsed the forums and seen everyone talk about fighting and how it can be used to fight as well as how people think there is no use for Kata.

In my opinion Karate is not a fighting style.. it can be used for self defense and the only way to do that is to practice practice and practice.. so the techniques become second nature. Karate should not be used offensively.

Karate in tournaments is good I think, mainly because it adds the team element as well as the competeitive element which is good to give dedicated students a goal to reach.

I think the Katas are very imprtant because they contain good mind training which is required before the physical training can be succesfuly started.

I think a good student needs to know the reason for what the do as well as the background of their art so that they can understand their training more.

I also think that Karate is not a sport it is more a way of life, the Katas have to be practiced continuously and the ethics and codes of Karate can help change your views on life.

I have more to say but what do you people think about my thoughts and the art? :karate:

Things are only how you perceive them so try to see things positively

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
hey that makes sence but i dont know that it applies to all styles. from what ive seen, okinawain styles seem defensive were japanese seem offensive.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

I do personaly think that most styles with Japanese roots that have formed from a Zen Buddhist basis are either for fitness and/or Defensive. I personaly study Goju and have read how karate was formed because of the Kings ban on weapons so the people developed various fighting styles for self defense... or something along those lines.

I do also think many modern martial arts have lost some important aspects, for example Taekwondo and Go Kan Ryu, they are good arts for the a "modern western person" but do not hold many of the traditional and important aspects... the styles have developed for the people not for the intended reason, therefore losing a certain "essence" that I think is necesary for any Martial Arts based lifestlye.

i agree, though i belive you can still be a budo kie and be a professinal competetion fighter.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Yeah I have made this point before that karate's focus is on not fighting this its unfair to say how would it do vs another art. But I do agree it can be used its just not what it teaches.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Karate has turned into what we have made it. And for the vast majority of people, it has become a recreational sport. This doesn't bother me. Leave it to the parents to teach discipline and values.

It does bother me when karate loses it's self defense value.

hey that makes sence but i dont know that it applies to all styles. from what ive seen, okinawain styles seem defensive were japanese seem offensive.

"The best defense is a good offense!"

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

But the best offense is also a good defense.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

"The best defense is a good offense!"

This is not true because being offensive is not the goal of a martial art, to be able to defend and run is better than not being able to defend and kill.. which is the best result which one gets you put in prison.