• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bruce Lee UFC

,jhkvb

Edited by Ben Martin

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes,its true Bruce never did compete in tounrments because of tis restrictions.On acocunt his favorite strike would be spear hand attacks to eyes or throat.

Only a few people have seen Bruce fight,and i have seen clips of his sparring and training.He is a powerful and light footed MAist,but i doubt he would even still compete in the UFC,they still have rules.

• 1 month later...

I think bruce lee would have done very well in events like the UFC. I think even if he was fighting a fighter that liked to fight from the ground, the grappler better not mess up or bruce would hit him so hard and fast that there would be no more fight to it. Also, he was a very smart person when it came to the martial arts, that if he thought that he was fighting a grappler , he probly would switch up on his strategy to win the fight. He was very fast on his toes and could likely avoid being taken to the ground. All I know is that I don't think anyone knowing what he was capable of,would want to be hit by him. It would be like fighting mike tyson,You know that he is not a very afficent grappler but if he hits you,thats it ,lights out.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

his philosohy was to use what worked. Chances are, if lee were still alive, he'd be training bjj right now, and adding it to his jkd curriculum.

Also, I think he would've competed. He seemed like a no nonsense type of guy. After several people calling him out due to the fact that he wouldn't compete, yet was supposed to be so great, he'd eventually step up. He may only do ine, just to shut people up, but he'd do it at least once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lee could have been beaten by people in his own time (Mas Oyama, Jimmy Woo, Howard Jackson) so why are we arguing over if he would win now theres no way

Fist visible Strike invisible

• 7 months later...

If we look at how Bruce looked at the martial arts always learning as much as he could and perfecting his ablities I believe he would have added more to his ground game. But as some stated he would be older that would make it a bit harder not to mention the rules that are in place. If you were to take the rules out then that would be another story. So I think in the end no one can say for sure. But I do know this we all deff. have our own opinions. :P I have not seen to date anyone that can match his speed, power and overall package as a martial artist / fighter. But that is simply my personal opinion after all there are a lot of good fighters out there but I consider him one of the greatest. :)

Respectfully Yours,

Keith

P.S.

Bruce might not have entered tournaments but its a known fact he was challenged a lot by other martial artists on and off set. There was never any mention to him losing to these guys. figured I would add this since I see people stating things that can be taken that he never fought. It is also one of the reasons he was place in the states to work at a friend of the family's resturant. :brow:

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Bruce was probably the first true mixed martial artist, but he was far from superhuman.

He had the skills in grappling and striking, but in the end, his frail 135lb frame would most likely have proven to be his downfall against the likes of 220+ lb fighters such as Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, and Kimo to name a few.

First, Bruce would never take part in a competition like the UFC. Second, he would not do well in an environment like the UFC because even though it's sort of free-for-all, it is not. For someone of Bruce Lee's physical size there would have to be no restrictions...real fighting is not a game or sport....it can be life or death.

Someone once asked Bruce how he would do against professional boxers and he said he would not stand there trading punch for punch because that may be a losing proposition due to the weight difference. Bruce just turned it around and said, "Can he catch me (in reference to the pro boxer)?". From what I know, one thing that Bruce was very good at was maintaining the right distance from an opponent. He was very fast and would use this speed to his advantage as he said a faster man would do well to take advantage of the speed by taking the fight to his oponent rather than just reacting where the opponent would dictate the pace of the fight.

Sure, Bruce was powerful but he was also very smart. He himself said, given the choice between punching someone or poking them in the eye he'd choose the latter....now, that' a smart choice....least amount of energy required to do some serious harm to your opponent. He also mentioned that one of the most effective ways to enter another opponents "space" was via a kick to the shin. Supposedly, this temporarily distracted the opponent long enough for him to get close to do whatever....straight punch, eye gouge, kick to the groin...or whatever it takes to neutralize an opponent. Bruce was not the biggest guy so he had to fight smart (some would say dirty but hey, it's real fighting and it's either you or the other guy...no time for nice guy).

Of course Bruce would avoid being on the ground in the first place where it would not be to his advantage. He would likely avoid this at all cost and do eveything within his power to make sure it doesn't even reach that stage. Yeah, he did do some grappling in movies but that may have been more for show (he did work out with that Gene Lebelle fella) although a well rounded fighter should envision all possibilities in a fight....but I have a feeling Bruce would avoid getting into a grappling match with someone just like he would avoid standing there trading punches with a boxer....Bruce was Bruce not because of those things but because he could avoid those thngs in the way he fought. He'd try and stop someone with kicks to the shin or knee before that someone could get close enough to do something let alone within grappling distance. He did mention that it would take only a certain pounds/per sq inch to break someones knee. But he would only do that if he could, otherwise find some other way to stay out of reach until an opening.

So, no..Bruce would not participate in something like the UFC. Free as it is it is still restrictive and for a guy like Bruce, he needs to gain every advantage he can which would include eye gouging, kicks or strikes to the groin, etc. Speed is very useful in doing this. I don't care how big you are, if you can't see or are doubled over...then that somewhat levels the playing field. Bruce was very good at that.