• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fighting a Tall and agile kciker

I've had a bunch of TKD guys come into my dojo before to train, and have also taught numerous seminars to TKD dojo's, so whether this will help or not..we'll see.

TKD people sucker for groin kicks like CRAZY in my experience. Unfortunately, many (most?) TKD schools don't allow groin kicks..why, I have no idea.

If your particular school does allow groing kicks, try these.

1. Get in a low, side facing your opponent stance when you first line up. This leaves your head easily at a kicking height. When he launches that kick, drop to the floor, and at the same time you lauhnch your own side kick (or front snap kick) to his groin. It will work at least once, and will teach him to keep his foot on the floor.

2. Watch for him to raise his leg to kick..sneak yours in immediately into his groin area. Again, do that a few times and he will stop kicking.

3. As he starts to kick, angle in at a 45 degree angle AWAY from the kick, but towards him and use your hands (like this ---> \ / ). Yes, contrary to popular TKD belief..you do have hands, and they can be used very effectively. :lol:

I'm 6'6" tall and have a 36" inseam on my pants, so I know about long legs and arms. I drill my people a lot on how to beat taller guys (like me).

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Groin kicks?!!! :o :o

Your kidding right? Thats down on my list with eye gouging, head butting and knee stomping. Not very competition friendly. Awesome on the street but doesn't have a place in competition. You may aswell give each fighter a loaded gun! I guess thats when it stops becoming a 'sport'.

Do you really have no idea why groin strikes aren't usually allowed in competition?

Teakwondo Bretty (a sucker for groin strikes)

Groin kicks?!!! :o :o

Your kidding right? Thats down on my list with eye gouging, head butting and knee stomping.

You say that like it's a bad thing? :D The OPEN tournaments I've gone to, allow light groin kicks. But what you're saying is what I was talking about earlier...some TKD schools don't allow them.

Not very competition friendly.
Why not? Isn't competition all about "fighting" an opponent, but with rules?

Awesome on the street but doesn't have a place in competition. You may aswell give each fighter a loaded gun! I guess thats when it stops becoming a 'sport'.

I disagree. I'm talking CONTROLLED, light contact to a viable target. not all out, "lets smash his cup" contact.

Do you really have no idea why groin strikes aren't usually allowed in competition?

No, enlighten me please. *wondering if he's going to say "Because it's disrespectful." :roll:

OK Bretty. Do you know the real reason TKD doesn't allow groin kicks? It's because TKD is primarily a kickers martial art, and any sort of kick higher than the knee is a relatively easy target for an opponent that knows how to counter to the groin. Thus, if the groinis a viable target, that will nullify a TKD's primary aresenal. Then what do you have?

You have an ineffective art that only works where the rules allow them to do their primary techniques with little fear of an effective response by their opponent.

OK, I hate to sound like I'm TKD bashing here, but it's true.

An example. I've been a judge and referree at God knows how many open tournaments which allow groing kicks, and have been a spectator at several all TKD tournaments which don't allow groing kicks. At an open tournament, you'll seldom see a high kick because the kicker knows that the chances are pretty good that htey will get neutered (simulated, of course :D ) However, at an all TKD tournament, it's almost a requirement that you head kick.

Is this a good simulation of realistic combat? Sorry, but no, it';s not.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Sorry Sensei,

I seem to have turned this into a disagreement about whether or not groin kicks are part of the sport, which i think we are going to have differing opinions on. I respect you opinion but think any further debate would deviate away from the original topic. If you'd like to start another topic i'll contribute further and this may be of interest to many poeple.

Meanwhile... how are we gonna help Superfighter fight big kickers?

What rules do you fight to superfighter?

Bretty

• 1 month later...