• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fighting a Tall and agile kciker

I have a kid in my karate class that's got realy good kicking combos, it's real hard to time him because he mixes up his kicks alot, i've tried doing moving in but his kicks are so D*** fast i get kicked in the hed before i've taken two steps!!!

Sparring - loved by many perfected by few

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get in close seems to be the thing... works good, I'm tall so I like the distance game.....the more the better.....Backfists work well and lots of hand skills. good luck

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

Closing distance really is the wy to go..take it fromme, I'm 6'3" and love to kick when I can- and I hate it when someone gets too close- I've spent some time recently improving my hand and grappling techniques for just that reason.

you should work on flanking/side to side footwork in order to get around the kicks and get in close, effectivelyeliminating their abliity to kick. just make sure you don't get impaled by a foot on the way in :)

• 4 weeks later...
I know, and i've tried, but he also has some realy good hand teqneques, usualy i try to move in i have to first duck a kick and as my head comes up i get nailed with a backfist in the head or if i block high a punch lands in my midsection. It's a hard loosing battle, but it defintenly makes me better :)

most Karate I learnt was about responding to attacks. So wait until they have committed themselves and counter strike.

Grab their leg if they are slow to retract it and get them off balance.

side step their kick and hit them in the face.

don't try and out kick a kicker. Keep your guard up at all times as well.

good luck

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

i can see where your comming from, but unfortunatly its hart to sidestep spin-hooks, rounhouses and tornado-rounds they just have a "radus of distruction" and if you get within that your going to get nailed somwhere pritty hard. :(

I recently sparred with a talented 4th Dan with a similar build to mine. His tactics were dangerous to a degree, but they worked.

Every time I through a spinning wheel kick or hook kick, he would actually duch under the kick and get inside to start pounding me with hand techniques. The key was all about timing. basically, you enter the circle instead of trying to stay out of it or go around it. It definitely made me think, and I'll never spar him the same way again.

Another option is to time the kick so that you are moving in at the exact moment the kick is about to be finshed, before the can transition into another kick. difficult, but not at all impossible once you get used to it.

actually, after sparring with the individual i mentioned, when i went back to sparring with the colored belts, it felt as if they were moving in slow motion (no offense to colored belt students, but it really was much different)

try sparring with one person for months or even years, and you'll begin to develop all kinds of tactics, and your partner will develop counters to your tactics, you will develop counters to the counters, and then counters to counters to counters, etc....

try sparring different people with different sparring styles and different body types too, what works against one person won,t always work against another, even if they have the same body type.

basically you just have to keep doing it, and continue to learn.

Watching helps, too.I have no doubtthat the master i was training with watched me spar with his students during the class and developed his tactics for fighting me based on what he had seen.

Know yourself and you will win half of your battles.

Know your enemy and you will win half of your battles.

Know yourself and your enemy and you will win all of your battles.

- Sun Tzu, paraphrased

i guess i just need to get faster, i know what you mean about after you spar someone fast, you fell like everyone else is in slow motion.

• 4 weeks later...

versus a large fighter that enjoys kicking i tend to approach then retreat constantly

some people like to bounce alot when sparring like a boxer, I don't. So instead I tend to advance and retreat which usually causes a fighter like this to commit to a kick, as kicks are very easy to read I can generally advance on the kick, or counter strike the kick deflecting it's path and strike an opening. This isn't always full proof as i'm not experienced enough to always make this work against higher experienced martial artists. But it works often- especially on those who are too scared to use their hands.

I'm a big guy and a big kicker, Normally I know if i throw a kick people are going to move a half step back. Even though i fight "semi" contact I make these kicks look big. It makes people tense up and gives me time to put that leg down before they counter.

The people who scare me are the people who take a half step forward when ever i throw a technique!!! :o :o . Try doing this, it takes some courage, just keep your chin in!

Get yourself a nice tight guard, most kickers will only kick at a target they can see. (this is naughty but...) Try and block all kicks to your body with your elbows!!! This will usually limit fighters to trying to kick your head. Not many people will last a 3 minute round throwing head kicks!

Also keep a tight guard, most kickers kick low then high or high then low, because a beginner will stretch to block the first kick only to get hit by the second. Keep tight and don't reach out to block the kicks. Keep you arms tight to your body and take them.

Spin back kick is always a good counter against any kicker. So is a simple good old fashioned hard and fast side kick. In fact not even as just a counter i throw them all the time!

And never forget the power of the body shot!! A kicker will find it hard work picking up their legs after strikes to their kidney and floating ribs.

Keep at it!

Bretty