• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fighting a Tall and agile kciker

at my Tae Kwon Do club we have this Daddy long legs guy who is nearly impossible to beat because of the reach in his legs

i want to know what are all your techniques and strategies to beat someone like this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get in close and use your hands! :idea:

I am a similar long-legged kicker type and get the same done to me (usually following Sensei's suggestions to my opponents!)... if people close you down it is more difficult to score with kicks (unless you can kick like Sensei Kagawa - split kicks etc)

In real life (cos I know you cant sweep in TKD :kaioken: as I've trained in it) I would be tempted to sweep the standing leg or take a good roundhouse/stamp kick at their knee / thigh ;)

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

I face this often when I work out with TKD types. I agree with renketsu, get in close. Train your close range weapons and work them over with them.

Learn to bridge. Don't just block or dodge a kick, follow it back to his vitals.

Practice trapping skills.

Jamming works well on a high kicker. Anything from a full body slam to a heel palm strike to a shoulder will do the trick.

One other piece of advice; don't forget to watch their faces the first time you use any of this on them. The expressions are priceless!

Freedom isn't free!

personally, i would side step. there's a way to step out of anything. go diagnolly and strike, step outside the kick, inside, whatever, just move out of the way. quite frankly, there's a hundred different counters for any given movement in the martial arts, the best one is the one where you don't get hit.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

I have a student who fits the tall kicker profile. And I do agree once you get inside the kicking zone you can control them but they can be good at keeping you at your distance. Shooting and Trapping in a NHB situation is a good idea as well.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 4 weeks later...

If throws are allowed (I don't know if your dojo allows them or not) you could go inside the kick and then do a takedown part way, then just let go of the person so you don't go to the ground with them.

Alternatively you could just charge all out like a rhinocerous. :P They'll get a point when they kick you but then you can bowl them over and apply a flurry of punches like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum. Points are points! :P

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!