• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full contact vs light sparring.

I am not a fan of boxing gloves for that reason. I have all my guys buy the MMA gloves like you see in the UFC. They have padding but you can still grab and stuff so it really don't take away for the natural movement.

Instep/shin guards are really the only other thing we wear. Some wear mouth pieces or cups but its up to you.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only problem with that is i doubt ou punch to the face/head with the same contact...and thus you dont learn to take a hit aswell.

Hi, TJS

I am also doing some free-fighting

with my friend constantly.

Agreed that light sparring

would lower people's sense

to block.

We would usually start without

glove but with body shield.

No punch to head.

I train my blocking and

capture-skill.

And wear 12 oz, we train our

blocking to straight punch and hook.

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

Yeah your right TJS we do light face contact. However we don't throw a lot of head strikes anyhow. I mean yeah we do but I generally teach punching to the body and arms. But yes your right we don't have heavy contact to the face. However just to counter point your point can you really train you face for contact?

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

well yes and no...you cant toughen your face to take hits better(not resonably) but people who dont get hit in the face alot still flinch/react sometimes when face punches are thrown in.

also you can learn to get used to the impact or shock..whatever you want ot call it.

Yeah LOL.

Getting hit does more for you mind than anything IMO because you know you can or can't take a punch.

well yes and no...you cant toughen your face to take hits better(not resonably) but people who dont get hit in the face alot still flinch/react sometimes when face punches are thrown in.

also you can learn to get used to the impact or shock..whatever you want ot call it.

I understand what you're saying, and you point makes sense. However, in KSW a large part of my defense are grabbing techniques. If I can't have normal use of my hand, I cant practice what I would do "for real".

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Getting hit in the head while training does two important things:

1. Trains the neck muscles to withstand the blasts (even strong neck muscles won't help much if they aren't used to striking).

2. Trains you mentally so you won't flinch or panic.

I understand what you're saying, and you point makes sense. However, in KSW a large part of my defense are grabbing techniques. If I can't have normal use of my hand, I cant practice what I would do "for real".

yes thats a valid point and one of the drawbacks of gloves..thats why it so hard to train "mma" stlye with heavy contact.

usually you have to break up the striking and grappling. but thats why i said you shoudl both both types of sparring

I'm new to MA (2 months). Can somebody explain to me how you can have "full contact" in something like Jinenkan, where most of the things we do are designed to kill or, at the least, cause serious injury? How is that done? Thanks. (If I wait till class night, I'm sure I'll forget, and the question does interest me.) Also, suppose you are practicing with wooden bokken--how do you have full contact with those? Those things are heavy!

I did have full contact with a practice weighted chain, since it's a piece of rope with surgical gauze wrapped round the ends to form the "weights." We had a lot of fun with those. I dubbed them the "samurai yoyo." :lol:

I'm still learning how to judge distance, and I get really nervous that I'm going to have "full contact" unintentionally and hit someone by accident!