• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seeking advice about schools

Cheezewiz

O.k., now that I've heard from someone that knows KA, I know that the adult class won't be any better. So, either talk her into changing now, or talk her into it later. Either way DONT sign up for that long contract.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'll give KA this, they probably have a good Kids Program going, which attracts many parents and kids into joining. My buddy who use to run a dojo for his ex-boss had the same thing going. Excellent Kids Program, but screwy business practices in regards to the contract, and the high cost black belt program.

Well my buddy got tired of his ex-bosses shinanigans that he finally quit. Lots of stuff that your kid receives for signing into these long term non-refundable contracts are cheap. I know, cause I've seen the stuff that my bud had to give out when he signed someone up. And No he didn't have any say in what kinds of quality stuff they should be giving out. It was all about the money for his ex-boss.

If your daughter is happy there, I would suggest for the meantime letting her continue to learn the basics. Don't sign a contract though just pay month to month. If that isn't possible then do look for another place to sign her up. Perhaps the average time to achieve a black belt would be anywhere from 3-6years, with the avg. class being a minimum of 1hr.

It also depends on the system your daughter is studying. Also your daughter is 9 yrs. old, say if at 15 yrs. old she attains her black belt, I hope she understands by then that she is only beginning to start her studies in her chosen art.

Well good luck :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Bart is right on the money with his advice. I can find nothing to add to it (a shock I know! :lol: ). Sure your daughter loves the place, but if she really loves martial arts she will take to another school just fine!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I am overwhelmed by the number of great responses. You have all helped immensely. Thank you for taking the time to reply. You have helped me make up my mind. She can continue to take Martial Arts classes, but somewhere else. We have had several friends recommend a Ti Kwan Do (Spelling?) school that is nearby. I am going to take her over to talk and see if she can attend one class to try it.

I am amazed at the number of people who used the term McDojo. As I sat watching classes at Karate America, the term McKarate kept coming into my mind. It must be the vibes or something.

The person who mentioned cheap equipment was also right on. They require students to only use "Official" KA equipment, and the list of items required for the Black Belt program is about $250. (Rubber sword, rubber nung-chuck, body armor, helmet, boxing gloves, official equipment bag) Although I know nothing about typical Martial Arts equipment prices, I thought it all looked overpriced. When I was a young man, a friend was taking Judo classes, and he had a uniform that was the heaviest duty clothing I had ever seen. The jacket had welted seams on the front that had to be at least 3 layers of heavy cotton with 4 or 5 rows of stitching, and the fabric was as heavy as good work jeans. The KA uniforms are nowhere near that standard.

Anyway, thank you for the sound advice. You have helped me make up my mind to do what my heart told me was the correct thing. Now I have some expert opinion to back up my case. I'll make a post in a month or so when the issue is resolved, tellng how it all worked out.

Mike

When I was a young man, a friend was taking Judo classes, and he had a uniform that was the heaviest duty clothing I had ever seen. The jacket had welted seams on the front that had to be at least 3 layers of heavy cotton with 4 or 5 rows of stitching, and the fabric was as heavy as good work jeans. The KA uniforms are nowhere near that standard.

A judo jacket is usually thicker than a karate jacket, because it has to withstand more punishment. In judo people constantly grab and pull the jacket, when in karate that happens a lot less. So don't worry if the karate jacket isn't as thick as some judo/jujutsu jackets.