• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the purpose of Martial Arts

Hi all,

I just wanted to gather thoughts on what you think the purpose of martial arts is.

Do you think it is to learn, to be humble, to understand oneself, a path rather than a goal.

What are your thoughts?

Strive to be the best you can be

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I believe the purpose of the Martial arts is and has always been for self-defense, combat, etc... Other wise why not leave out the "Martial" all together. It is the expression of self, through combative means. I believe that there are also many, many benefits that come from training in the martial arts. There are many attributes that are needed to becoming a successful martial artist, these are attained through your training. But the "PURPOSE" remains the same, for self-defense/combat. To study for any other reason is self defeating in itself. This has already been a HUGE topic of discussion here, so I won't get into any detailed explanation. The link below gives explanation for my belief. I'll post a link so that you can research. But that's basically how I feel.

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=3168

Good luck, in that which you seek

Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise.

Animis Opibusque Parati

For me, Martial Arts is the path to the evolution of our body, spirit and mind. It's not just for fighting or self defense, it's also for a better understanding of your own self, and your own goals in life. It may sound a little crazy, but thats my idea of Martial Arts.

Cry in the dojo,

laught on the battelfield.

Well I guess MA was developed as a means of unarmed SD. However MA quickly tied to Eastren religon like Buddahism and Shinto.

Religon in general all teaches the same thing to be good. MA is not a religon but its moral code fits in nicely with what most teach. Be good, be respectful, only fight when the cause is just, help others, develope yourself though hard work and you will be rewarded later on.

So to me MA is a means of social control. LOL. I prob. should not say social control but a means to teach morals and goodness to society.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I take martial arts for combat. It's something to do and practice, I don't like watching TV or using electronics much but I do. I'd rather be an ol' hermit in the moutains sparring with the squirrells.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

Thanks to all that have put your thoughts out so far. I have read the thread mentioned and found som interesting comments. I was not asking what other people goals are in order to argue them. I have my opinions and goals and I respect other peoples opinions, I am just why people take up martial arts.

The reason that I train is to know myself. And learn more about who I am. This does not mean that I spend most of my time meditating instead I strive to push myself and find out what I am made of and how I can improve.

Strive to be the best you can be

I believe the purpose of the Martial arts is and has always been for self-defense, combat, etc... Other wise why not leave out the "Martial" all together. It is the expression of self, through combative means. I believe that there are also many, many benefits that come from training in the martial arts. There are many attributes that are needed to becoming a successful martial artist, these are attained through your training. But the "PURPOSE" remains the same, for self-defense/combat. To study for any other reason is self defeating in itself. This has already been a HUGE topic of discussion here, so I won't get into any detailed explanation. The link below gives explanation for my belief. I'll post a link so that you can research. But that's basically how I feel.

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=3168

Good luck, in that which you seek

I totally agree,100%,it's about high time I see someone on here that feels the exact same way I do.

I also agree with the person who started the thread in url you posted.